1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia Grants Snowden Temporary Asylum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed , a fantastic story that shed light on how it all came to be. Read like a combination of All The Presidents Men and a Robert
    Ludlum novel.

The fears of Poitras and Greenwald to return to the USA now seem well founded given that Greenwald's partner was detained for
    9 hours passing through Heathrow yesterday.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For a guy who said he's not going to "scramble jets" to get Snowden, he sure is going out of his way to make life difficult for Snowden's acquaintances.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

joker avatar

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The U.S. has a secret police force that claims for itself the power to conduct surveillance on every communication of everyone, and to have no one know about it. While hardly a radical due to extreme laziness, I'd say that's total grounds for armed revolution, and everyone who signed the Declaration of Independence agrees with me.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your post has been flagged and forwarded to the appropriate authorities.

You're right, for what it is worth. I am not signing up for armed revolution. But it is certainly worth trying to change via peaceful means. If the Supreme Court actually adjudicated the constitution, rather than trying to be an unelected legislature that establishes social policy, this would be an open and shut fourth amendment violation. And the "secret" FISA courts would never have been a serious consideration. I can't think of anything more antithetical to democracy and a free and open Republic that puts a primacy on rights over everything else.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

News of the David Miranda's UK detention seems to be getting legs. There is going to be
    some blowback on this one.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did they read him his Miranda rights?

Draft saved Draft deleted