1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rushing the court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 21, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Might have been mentioned on the running college hoops thread, but I thought it'd be an interesting break-out.

When do you rush the court? Ever? Only against a top-ranked team?

My main man Gregggg Doyle wrote about this today, and I happen to agree with his take.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/12818987/kstate-fans-stand-still-and-sports-leap-forward-hopefully

Thoughts?

(I won't mention that I e-mailed him with the idea for this column the other day, only to be shut out in the credits. Thanks for nothing, Greggggg.)

;D

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's fun and sports are supposed to be about fun. I don't mind it for almost any conceivable excuse.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I never rush the court. It would make me look like a homer. I've got too much equipment to worry about and I usually have to file a story pretty quickly and don't have time to mess around.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't believe you made me read Doyle.

That being said, I agree with him to a point. Some nobody school pulls off an upset over a ranked team, rush it. If you're Indiana, or Michigan State, or shit, Duke, and you beat ANYONE, you stay in your fucking seats.

5. mb

mb Active Member

SEC has a rule against storming the court/field/playing surface. And it's a pretty stout penalty, IIRC. I think it's something like $25,000 for the 2nd offense and keeps rising for every one thereafter.

6. JackReacher

Why's that?

7. mb

mb Active Member

Found the rule:

Institutional financial packages range from $5,000 for a first offense to fines of up to $25,000 for a second offense and up to $50,000 for a third and subsequent offenses.

8. JackReacher

Not exactly pocket change. Damn.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The SEC rule came in not long after the incident at Wisconsin and other places when people were getting badly hurt in stampedes and by falling goal posts.
    There's also a financial component to it beyond the liability issue. People have a tendency to take souvenirs -- pieces of turf -- and I think schools were starting to get pissed off at having to replace their football fields after every major victory.

10. mb

mb Active Member

I've seen a few SEC schools get hit with a first offense. I've yet to see anybody get hit with a 2nd.

edit: the google says Kentucky got hit with a 2nd offense in 2007. that's the only 2nd offense I've found. As best I can tell, the rule was instituted in 2003.

edit 2: instituted in Dec. 2004

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does that mean Kentucky got penalized for the crowd rushing the field in advance of the Bluegrass Miracle? Because that would be outstandingly awesome were it true.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Nah, that was a win over Louisville. And, yeah, that sounds pretty pathetic now, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted