1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rushin out at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by leon_hollhandle, Feb 16, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Friends mailed it in the last several years. I feel like I could have written some of those scripts...hmm, let's make Phoebe a space cadet here, Monica an anal beeyotch here, Ross an assclown here...voila.

I liked Rushin too, BTW.

2. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

here's a new pilot I'm pitching ... put Rushin, Reilly and Peter King in an apartment complex and make them best friends, also make it a show about nothing and sit back and watch the hilarity the ensues ... any takers (hope I used the sarcastic font) ;)

3. Friends sucked.

Joey always was the sub-moron.
    Phoebe was always the airhead.
    Monica, as someone already said, was always the humorless bitch.
    Ross always played the whiny bitch.

Same thing for 10 seasons.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Reason 2,784 I love SJ: The Friends-jacking of a thread about Rushing leaving SI.

Yes, Friends was formulaic. But it was comfort food. You knew what you were getting and it was funny. If TBS changed formats to rotating blocks of Friends and Seinfeld, I'd never change the channel.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Friends was mediocre -- it was average at best with a likeable cast. The writing was very safe and you could see every joke coming from a mile away. I gave it a try every season or so because the missus liked it, but I never stayed with the show. IMO, it was never close to being a top 10 sitcom.

It was, however, responsible for the Rachel haircut, which was worn by every woman that I dated from 1995-7.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Friends was predictable, Seinfeld sucked.
    I will watch Friends now in reruns, but I can say that I've seen maybe an hour of Seinfeld total ... which is 55 more minutes than I've ever listened to Paul Finebaum, but that's another story for another day...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Tom Shales.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Friends kind of made me sick.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was that your sidesaddle dude's issue?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's inspecting Jennifer Aniston's beer caps on Friends right now.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I had some issues with Seinfeld -- Michael Richards was awful, the episodes could be very erratic -- but when the show was on, it was as funny as anything on TV. Then again, as a Jew from NYC, I was the target audience.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Webster - What didn't you like about the Kramer character? Just wondering, since he was such a fan favorite.

Draft saved Draft deleted