1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rushin out at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by leon_hollhandle, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Simmons is getting his backlash from non-industry people, too. ESPN.com provided a comment feature a few weeks ago for his columns. It was disabled the same day. He was getting worked over for being your basic small-minded provincial weenie and for all the other reasons that have been posted in these parts for years.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

We want you to be interactive, unless you criticize us. ::)

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The second well-known name to leave SI is Lester Munson, the mag's substantive legal eagle. Chopped in the cutbacks.

4. But they kept Don Yaeger - he is still there isn't he? - even after he cost them (maybe I'm oversimplyfing) about $20 million in legal fees for the Price incident. Sorry, but Yaeger is as pompous of an ass as they come.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Like everyone else, A&S wasn't the first thing I turned to. And he and Reilly both hit about .300 as columnists. But I also enjoyed, in a cotton candy kind of way, Rushin's misses. They entertained me for the time that I read them, but I forgot about them by the time I dived into Scoreboard. But Reilly's misses, especially when he becomes Catskills Comedian, are painful and infuriating. The humor is forced and I get pissed because I remember how good he was about 7-10 years ago. In the few times Rushin tackled a controversial issue, you knew that the full weight of his convictions stood behind it. When Reilly attacks some controversial issues, it's because he couldn't think of anything else to write that week. In that way, I kind of liked Rushin more.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No.

7. Where's Yaeger now?

Update: I'll answer my own question. His website says he's on a speaking tour now. OOOhh. ::)

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No idea.

9. the fop

the fop Member

I thought Rushin peaked circa "Road Swing," when he was doing two or three good takeouts a month. I loved his wordplay back then, because it was such a clever way to tell whatever story he was telling. But long before Lobo, he became much more about the storytelling than the story, IMO.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Wrong. It was a great show. Terrific writing and acting.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It commited the Cardinal Sin of all bad sitcoms: It simply wasn't funny. Most men who watched it fooled themselves into thinking it was good, when in actuality they were just humoring the ladyfriend who was a fan in hopes of getting laid.

It was best watched on mute, and turned away from until Ms. Aniston and Ms. Cox were on the screen.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You're wrong. It was funny. Hilarious oftentimes. Great characters. Sharp writing. " 'Friends' sucked is the biggest myth in television sitcom history.

Draft saved Draft deleted