1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush (the band) fans are taking over

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-rush-0415apr15,0,3880452.story

Suck it, Bubbler!

If you have waited decades for the signal to come out of the closet and declare your allegiance to "The Holy Triumvirate," as Jason Segal dubs Rush in "I Love You, Man," consider this your official notice.

After 35 years as one of rock music's most persistent punch lines—the singer sounds like a girl, the songs are long and pedantic, some fans are obsessive, the band is indulgent and Canadian—Rush is suddenly cool.

In fact, even more remarkably, liking Rush is cool.

"You heard right," said TBS sports announcer Chip Caray, grandson of legendary Chicago Cubs announcer Harry Caray. "I'm a fan of Rush, to put it mildly. I tell people, and they go, 'Really?' which is sad. How many hate what they do? [Rush enjoys] what they do. One song goes, 'The pride of purpose in an unrewarding job.' I'm a 44-year-old who quotes Rush—so be it. I'm proud to be a fan, and I don't mind saying it. We're everywhere now."

OK, I admit that having Chip Caray in your ranks singing "Freewill" makes your being cool harder to sell, but still...

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

About time the Chicago Tribune ran a decent article!!!

Actually, Alex, you'd be surprised how many copy editors and sportswriters are working with the sounds of "Red Barchetta" and "The Trees" in our heads.

My one beef with the article. I'm not really part of the power structure, and I definitely don't go for the term 'Rushinati.' Makes me sound like I'm from southern Ohio or something (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'd rather be known as a power-trio rocker, prog-rock nerd, a Ged-Head, or, quite simply:

I Should Coco, Rush fan -- and proud of it! :)

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cosmo likes this.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The funny thing about Rush fans is how defensive they are.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Chip Carey is NOT a ringing endorsement.

His fandom makes me rethink my own.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In other words... nerds.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was Rush when Rush wasn't cool.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rush didn't need Chip Carey's seal of approval to be cool.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Nails. Dead. On. Nails. And I'm not just talking about the article.

Well said as usual, Sam.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I want this shirt.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wait, the essence of this story is that Chip Caray couldn't get laid in high school?

Well, color me shocked.

Draft saved Draft deleted