1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush Limbaugh profile in NYT magazine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Jul 2, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

NYT Magazine, home base for the liberal, left-wing media that has helped lead this country to the sorry place that it is today, has profiled conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/magazine/06Limbaugh-t.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

I hate that gaseous wind bag know it all piece of feces for his superior attitude. In the article, Limbaugh says that he doesn't even know where to find NPR on the dial.

Here a couple of quotes from the Fat Man:
    * "I assumed there was a fraternity of broadcasting guys in New York. I thought my success would launch me into a circle of accomplished people. Look, I admired these people. Peter Jennings, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather. I thought they would welcome me as one of them. I was wrong. I realized that my professional achievements were discounted because of my conservatism and my constant criticism of those who I thought would welcome me."
    My take: Aw, poor Rush assumed that the talk show blabbering of a non-journalist who religiously ignores the other side of the story would be welcomed by real on-air journalists. I feel so sorry for him.

* "When you saw my house today, you probably noticed that it isn't filled with pictures of me and famous people. That's not me. I don't have a home that says, 'Look who I know!' No, you have a home that says, 'Look what I have.'"
    My take: Hmmmm, he says "That's not me" when it comes to pictures with famous people. Yet in the previous quote it seemed as though he was put off by not being accepted by famous people in New York. Effing hippo hypocrite.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

O'Really has many of the same perceptual problems.

It goes with working that particular territory.

Both will continue to rake it in -- but their stunning, sustained disingenuousness doesn't lend to broad credibility.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So after years of trashing Jennings, Brokaw and Rather, he was hurt or disappointed they didn't start taking him to dinner?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think you see that from a lot of conservatives. They weren't welcomed in to "the club" and spent the rest of their lives in seething resentment over it.

And what's the deal with Limbaugh always being pictured with a cigar in his mouth?

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

It's the favorite pacifier/penis replacement of the Conservative Fat Man. Instead of driving a $200,000 sports car, they suck stogies to show how manly they are and superior they are to be able to enjoy something produced in a Third World country.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's not a cigar on the way in, it's a turd on its way out.

I've always wondered if Limbaugh -- and Michael Moore, for that matter -- believe even half the crap they say or whether it's like pro wrestling, all an act.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sock-

You have established that you looked at the story.

Sometime, try reading it.

If the NYT can take the subject seriously, you might give it a shot, too.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Nothing really makes me want to go off the grid than shit like this. Oh, it's a good story. Limbaugh's definitely an interesting cat, and I laughed when he called O'Reilly "Ted Baxter". But it's still a story by the media, for the media, like the Chris Matthews piece earlier in the year -- except about a person with a much more devoted, and large following.
    I kept asking myself throughout the thing: who gives a shit? I did a fascinating thing a while back - I turned off the tube, turned off the radio. Save for weather and the occasional sporting event, I didn't watch a damn thing (though, didn't go so far as to turn it off when someone else has it on). My head was clearer and less full of stuff. I tried to pick news from the most objective places possible, and avoided political 'news' altogether.
    And then you turn all the circuitry back on, and this is what you get: left vs. right, conservative vs. liberal, network vs. network. The shouting and arguments get faster and more ridiculous, more devoid of worth, interrupted only by five minutes of slick advertising -- aligned, of course, with the ideals of the network that runs the spots. It's Hannity, it's Jon, it's Colbert, it's O'Reilly, it's snarky, it's Fair and Balanced, it's HARDBALL ONLY ON MSNBC, it's Olbermann's kooky glasses.
    Which leads to Rush Limbaugh, screaming into a microphone at 1,000 decibels, bloviating about this and that. It this really how the democratic process should go? Am I supposed to get news spun from this guy, a dude who is paid to toss around his opinion with vigor? A dude who lives on a property that has five houses, has millions of dollars worth of automobiles, planes, considers himself a businessman, will shill for you on air for the right price?
    I couldn't care less that he's conservative. I wouldn't care if he was liberal. I mainly care that he's falsely defined the dichotomy between conservatism/liberalism, ignored the shades of gray, furthered this adversarial political climate, upped the furor, and care how it's helped absolutely no one except himself; then wonder why I'm supposed to give a shit.

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I guarantee he enjoys the fact too that he pisses you all off so much.

Frankly, I admire the man. Sure, you're not going to agree with what he says, but at least he doesn't back down like a cowardly little bitch when the heat's on. He's a man of conviction, not someone who will whimper and quickly apologize just cause what he says isn't P.C. or offends someone. I find it refreshing.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It's not him, necessarily, that solely irks me...it's the whole bunch. It's the whole commentator system.

Here's something I wondered in his case. If he's such a tent-pole of modern American conservatism, and such an agenda-setter, why doesn't he run for office? If his following is larger than anyone's, and would likely gain support, why wouldn't he?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In anything but the reddest of red states, he'd be DOA. The Hillbilly Heroin ad campaign would be instantaneous upon the announcement of his candidacy.

12. T2

T2 Member

Compare what he's doing now with what he'd have to do as a campaigner or an elected official. From his point of view, his present occupation provides a whole lot more personal satisfaction, leisure time, and MONEY. Also, he feels he can advance the conservative agenda more effectively on the radio than as an actual office-holder. Why would he want to switch?

Draft saved Draft deleted