1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Oct 28, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hmm. Who to believe, the guy who covered pro football in New York or guy who didn't? Hmm.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

no, son, phil was 38. period. case closed.

thanks for the backup, yf, though i believe we're all clear on who's correct on this unfortunate threadjack. my humble apologies to all for my part in any derailing.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pro-Football Reference says he was 39 when he retired. Born in November 1954.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

he was born in november '55. was released in june '94. that = 38.

whatever. say i agree he was 39. he was coming of an 11-5 playoff season. even those of you looking back as a revisionist who wasn't on the scene back in the day, do you really think the giants were that eager to usher in the dave brown era?

no, george young, god bless him, was among the pre-capologists ill-equipped to know how to massage cap issues like these at the time. so he, owner wellington and reeves panicked by releasing phil.

that's how it went down. trust me on this one.

and can we please move on after the next response from simon or rick, who apparently had their dads tell them different tales......

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does PFR have his birthdate wrong? I'm intrigued.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimmPh00.htm

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

You old guys think you know everything just because you were there. ;D

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, somebody's wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms

i recall simms was an "older" rookie, meaning he turned 24 the year he was drafted. is it possible he turned 25 that november? i suppose. just not really relevant to this discussion.

the giants didn't opt not to re-sign him. they were, suddenly faced with the cap ramifications in june and cut him, as i recall.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anybody is arguing it. Sure, the cap was at least part of the reason the Giants cut him loose. Why is that a big deal? Because he was the first big-name cap casualty? Players with a heck of a lot more tread left on the tires have been cut loose for cap reasons. Just like players are traded or cut for purely financial reasons in MLB, except there it is some teams having to do it a lot more than others.

What if Buster Olney is right and a huge number of players are going to be non-tendered so teams can avoid going to arbitration this offseason? Is that somehow better than cap casualties?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Jay Z left out a few lines when he sang his new song -- Empire State of Mind at Game 1 of Series:

[Jay-Z]
    I made you hot n-gga,
    Catch me at the X with OG at a Yankee game,
    sh-t I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can,
    you should know I bleed Blue, but I ain't a crip tho,
    but I got a gang of n-ggas walking with my clique though,

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was already established that he was going to change the lyrics.

But thanks for reminding us.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nothing like breaking news almost two weeks after the fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted