1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A. I'm not in the TV industry.

B. My post said nothing about TV ratings or who was watching TV. ;D

C. You and Pringle need to lose the righteous indignation. Before or after you finish fetching me a beer. Matters not to me. (I'll have a coupla St. Pauli Girls, thank you)

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Deeper_Background reports the Yankees have been eliminated from the 2006 postseason. More on this story as it develops.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Tigers in 5.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Even though the Subway Series was one of the lowest rated ever as far as TV goes, having one N.Y. team would create for higher ratings under the theory that if it was the Yankees, then Red Sox and Mets fans would watch and root against them, and if it was the Mets then Yankees fans would watch to root against them.
    If it is a Subway Series then only N.Y. is watching.
    Anyway, as I said in the other thread: Cardinals in six and only because I have predicted every series, so far, wrong.

P.S.: I guess since I am rooting for the Cardinals, I should pick the Tigers as a reverse jinx, but I am going against all reasonable thought and picking the Cardinals.
    Win it for Jeff Weaver!

7. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Both Anaheim/San Francisco and Houston/Chicago rated lower than Mets/Yankees.

Astros/White Sox is now the worst-watched Series ever.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Really? That doesn't surprise me I guess, I remember watching last year's World Series and angrily screaming at the TV for the goddamn Astros to feel free to score a run. Hopefully that isn't repeated this year.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

But the good thing is McCarver made the last out of that series on a weak foul popup in between home and first. Hopefully they show that over and over, causing him to make up even better names for players. Was I the only one that heard him call Endy Chavez, Eric Chavez in like the eighth inning when talking about that catch? Now that would have to be considered the greatest catch ever if a third baseman raced back to the wall and made that grab.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

By god, he did it. I didn't think he'd do it.

With every spot open on a week's rest, Leyland pushed his "veteran ace" back to Game 2 so as to keep Rogers at Comerica for Game 6 and not make him pitch on the road at any point in the Series.

Certainly makes sense from a momentum/psychological standpoint, but a lot of managers wouldn't have the guts to not use Rogers in Game 1.

Tigers in 5 (Carpenter wins first one at Busch.)

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tigers can win it for Dmitri Young! :D

Will Alan Trammell get to throw out a ceremonial first pitch? :mad:

12. joe

joe Active Member

Here's why I think the Cardinals have a chance: The heart of their batting order did next to nothing in the NLCS, and they were carried offensively by Belliard, Molina and Spiezio. They are resilient and a lot tougher mentally this year than the 105- and 100-victory teams of the last two years. If Pujols and Edmonds (or Encarnacio, or, less likely, Rolen) start producing more than the occasional single, they have enough firepower to win a 7-6 game -- and enough to win the series. Will it happen? Who knows. But after knocking off the Mets in Shea, I think anything's possible.
    And, Buck, how are my preseason picks looking now? I think I might have been the only one to have the Cardinals beating the Mets for the pennant. (Kinda whiffed on that whole Orioles thing, though.)

Draft saved Draft deleted