1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, I realize that because it's Detroit and St. Louis this might be the least-viewed WS thread of all time, but here goes.

Tony LaRussa looks like Larry from Three's Company.

Oh, and Tigers in six

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Cardinals touched down in Detroit at 2 a.m. and they are sleeping the sleep of the just at Adam's Mark.

Hey, this is a running thread.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

No New York team. TV execs jumping off buildings. Bwahahaha.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If this goes six, it'll be a miracle. But the ratings for this won't be Subway Series bad (which proves the lie to the Gotham = great national ratings theory.) The Cards have a huge regional following and the Tigers have the worst-to-first underdog thing going for them, even though they are clearly the better team.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Rolen's still hitless lifetime in the World Series. And pissed at somebody for something.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

St. Louis in 5.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You know, you may have a point, given that Carpenter is likely to pitch only once in the first six games and the Tigers' pitchers are all rested.

9. unwitty

unwitty Member

Let me add my fanboy loser perspective...

- I never expected the Cardinals to do anything. They've played horribly this season and pissed me off too many times. My faith was running on empty. But this is the only team I follow whole-heartedly. The only one. (My first memory is sitting on my dad's lap watching the 87' World Series.) I watched the last month of the season when they sucked like a black hole. I watched Mulder implode. I saw Molina hit .200 for much of the season. And, I suffered through ESPN rooting for the greatest collapse in MLB history. So, for that, I give one giant FU to those who automatically write them off.

- They may not win the Series, but they did remind me why sports are special. They give us something to root for. I woke up with a smile on my face. I called my dad and talked about baseball. Walking the dog at 5:20am wasn't so bad. Besides normally being a pretty positive guy, today I have a purely selfish just to appreciate life. I don't care if people think I'm pathetic.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Years?

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I know for a fact my grandpappy is walking on air this morning, and that's definitely worth something at his age. :)

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Fine then. Watch "Seinfeld" and "Friends" re-runs until all the important teams from the East Coast break camp in the spring. We won't miss you.

Draft saved Draft deleted