1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Joel_Goodsen, May 31, 2007.

1. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

Cards will be in the air for the first event of the 2007 World Series of Poker in less than 18 hours (the $5000 mixed hold-em event) so we might as well have a thread for all things poker for the next six weeks.

The main event begins July 1st but there will be a bunch of interesting tournaments leading up to it.

Any initial thoughts about it?

I will make the first of many (likely wrong) predictions -- a professional -- and not an obscure one -- will finally break through and win the main event this year.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

A professional winning the main event at this point would be unbelievable. Any numbers floating around out there as to how many people are projected to enter this year's big one?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000. Which means, it has become the lottery.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I can't imagine a professional can ever win this thing again. I wonder if, at some point, the pros say hell with it and try to create a true championship event. Seems sacrilege to say, but ...

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I'm trying to make it to the $1500 shootout that begins 6/12 ... I need some serious help to get there, though.

What I don't get is if most of the online rooms have been locked from Americans, how can the main event numbers increase to 12K? I'd have thought it would have leveled off by now.

For instance ... I know it's early, but Full Tilt only has 150 qualifiers for the Main Event.

I love the World Series ... and poker in general ... I don't care what the anti-fanboys on here have to say.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

I think the $50K H.O.R.S.E. event will become the new "Main Event." The buy-in is prohibitive for most novices and Internet sites, and you have to be a true poker all-rounder to compete, which knocks out the Hold 'Em droves.

Last year, there were 143 entrants, and the final table was filled with big name pros, including Doyle Brunson, T.J. Cloutier, Phil Ivey, Andy Bloch, and the winner, Chip Reese. Heading in, a lot of people felt like he was the best player in the game, and his win confirmed it -- as well as the value of the tournament as a truer test of skill.

That being said, I'm hoping to play in a couple of the smaller Hold 'Em events and maybe one of the Omahas.

Anyone else going -- good luck, Pooch, on making it -- let us know.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Good call (no pun intended), Jones. Just caught the final table of the H.O.R.S.E. event on TV a couple weeks back.

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I'll definitely be out there ... whether I play in it is a longshot, but I'll definitely let this thread know.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Excellent call, Jonesie. That event will be the big kahuna with all the swinging dicks playing.

It won't, however, probably get much TV time because it doesn't have the mystique of what has become a cattle call.

And Pooch, hope you make it. I enjoyed your communiques last year. But I'm sure Jonesie will file his own.

He better.

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I'll be out in Vegas near the end of the month... so I'll probably pop over there to check out some of the action... it's all a bit rich for my blood, but I'm sure it wll be interesting to see the circus, even with the smaller events.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I'm booked for Vegas, flying out Thursday morning, June 7 and staying until June 12. I got media credentials for the WSOP and will be writing some follow columns, notes, etc. once I return.

My original plan was to drop $1,500 for the NLH event on June 9, but instead of putting my proverbial eggs in one basket, I'm playing in two of the Deep Stack Extravaganza II events at Venetian ($550 for one, $340 for the other) and trying a couple of $175 single-table satellites on Thursday and Friday(hopefully just one :)), angling to win a seat for the June 9 event. Also, playing in the Venetian events got me one of their 750-square-foot suites at $120 the last night we're in town. So, in effect, the $340 event on Monday is a freeroll.

I'm also looking to jump into some of those fat cash games at the Rio. Some 4-8 Omaha H/L8 or NLH.

As for the main event, the numbers won't approach last year's; the online sites are qualifying very few Americans this year, with the new law cooling off play. I see a "professional" winning the event more likely than the last three years, which had fields bloated with online players.

Man, I love poker. Can't wait until those wheels touch down in Vegas next week and I can belly up to the felt ...

12. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

Actually, the 50K HORSE event is going to draw major TV play, starting this year. ESPN will show six hourts worth of HORSE coverage this year. Makes sense, really -- if the final table this year has anywhere near the names of last year, it will draw viewers.

Even better, the final table of that HORSE event this year will rotate among all five games, rather than being a hold 'em table. Apparently, a lot of the pros were mad last year that, after playing such well-rounded poker to reach the final table, it was nothing but hold 'em shown on TV (thanks to ESPN's demands).

For pros, this is going to be the event to win, for all the reasons stated above.

Draft saved Draft deleted