1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running wisdom tooth extraction thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet that smarts.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He'll be here all week folks...

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I got mine out when I was 16. I was told to count back from 10 and didn't get to five before I was out. I woke up high as a kite and my sweet mom, who never weight more than 110 pounds in her life, practically had to carry me to the car. All the while I'm telling her "I'm fine to drive," which must have made her terrified that I was a DUI waiting to happen.

Sadly, my mom basically went through the same routine with my older brothers, as well.

Afterward I didn't have any problems with infections or anything and I was fine within a few days.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

For some reason I only had three wisdom teeth. Got lucky, I guess.

Had them out when I was 19. Problem is, I've had this huge problem with needles my whole life. The dentist walks in, says "this will only hurt a little" and proceeds to jab me in the mouth with a giant needle.

Gawd, I'm having problems just typing this.

See, I used to always faint when I had needles. Then I started having seizures. They took me to the hospital at one point for an EEG. I fainted there, too, when they started putting needle-like sensors on my head. Seizure. All recorded. But I didn't have epilepsy.

Anyhow, back to the wisdom teeth. So the dentist sticks me, I pass out, have a seizure right there. Thank goodness my mom, a nurse, was nearby. Woke up, apologized to the (quite frightened) dentist. We finished the surgery as my mouth was now frozen. Felt really weird but no big deal afterwards.

Fuck, was that a bad idea to read this thread, then post. I'm gonna go lay down for a while. Feeling faint.

Edit: Glass of water, all is well. Not looking here again!

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shit, as soon as I got in the car I passed out again. The trip home was literally only five minutes, three miles or so, and my mom was worried about trying to get me inside. I had no idea they were done because of the anethesia. It was like I blinked.

6. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I had all four done one Friday (under general anesthetic -- they were growing sideways in my jaw), started my very first newspaper job the next Monday. No big deal, really.

I'd go with all four at once unless you think you can get by without having to have the others yanked. Big deal or now, I can't imagine going through it more than once.

On the downside, I still have a dime-sized patch just below my lower lip that I can't feel to this day (20 years later). But I've been told the nerve damage I experienced may well have prevented a couple of toothaches. I've had a couple of decayed teeth on that side that the doc couldn't imagine why I wasn't complaining of them, then I told him about my whizzdom teeth extraction.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Pain's not too bad. It's store, but not unbearable. I probably won't get the prescriptions filled. Just took three advil though. That's not as bad as the constant need to spit. I've about got the bleeding stopped, so maybe that'll slow down.

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Had all four pulled out in high school on a Wednesday, the day before the four-day weekend for teacher's convention in November. They knocked me out, woke up an hour later, a little groggy for a few more hours but went to hockey practice that night.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is really comforting.
    I'm 34 and just found out I need all 4 removed, problem is the bottom 2 are sideways. I really wish I hadn't read this thread.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Had my top left pulled back in January, about three weeks after a root canal (on the right side). I was on soft foods for about two weeks, because I couldn't chew on either side.
    Stupid thing bled for about a week after getting it pulled. But the worst part is that food keeps getting stuck in there now.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't have wisdom teeth. They just never showed up. Of course, my teeth are all jacked up. I have three molars that don't have adult teeth behind them and another baby molar that fell out about 7 years ago and left me with a hole back there.

It took awhile to get used to chewing on one side of my mouth only, but it seems normal now.

I guess I need a bridge or something, not really sure. Don't feel like investing a ton of money in it.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Had them out when I was 23 or 24, shortly after I moved in with my future wife. They were impacted and I had to get them out before they started leaning on the nerve, which would have necessitated a root canal.

I had it two days after the Super Bowl. The day of the Super Bowl, I read something in the Daily News about a guy in the Super Bowl (think it was Broncos-Packers) who went into a coma after a wisdom teeth extraction. About shat my pants right there.

My future mother-in-law drove me to and fro the appointment. Got in there, they gave me a shot or something to knock me out. It was the coolest/oddest thing ever...I was never drowsy. I chatted for a few seconds with the nurses and went from perfectly coherent to knocked the fuck out in the blink of an eye. Woke up, all was well.

Mother-in-law drives me home and I start to ramble like an idiot about how I used to drink and party before I met her daughter but that I felt no need to do so once we met and fell in love. "Oh really?" Mom says. She still laughs about it to this day. Thank God I had no deep dark secrets. "Yeah I love your daughter but I love anal more so I've been seeing a prostitute..."

Missed one day of work (the day of the operation) and had Carvel for three days. The only time I felt kinda crappy was that weekend, when a dull ache dominated my mouth and put me in a bad mood.

Honestly, the root canal I had a few years ago was worse in terms of mouth pain and limiting my food choices for the next few days.

Draft saved Draft deleted