1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running wisdom tooth extraction thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not quite.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. gretchd

gretchd Member

Had mine out in high school. All four.

Went out for pizza that night. No big thing.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

WARNING -- gory details included

You cannot make this shit up. Yes, I'm back already.

So i get in there, and I'm not within 25 years of any other patient there. Apparently it was senior citizens day or something. Not that that's a big deal, but some of them had to have another person bring them in because they were unable to drive. Again, no big deal, except that one of those was next to me, and this person's designated driver was some kind of mechanic/technician. I know this, because right after I got my xylocaine shots (the one in the roof of my mouth hurt like very bad words) I hear the drill the other dentist was using. Then, "Is that an electric drill or pneumatic?" The dentist says, "uh, pneumatic, I think." Yeah, confidence inspiring. "You know, I had a battery-powered jigsaw once that worked really good." The conversation was interrupted by my own dentist, who checked to see if my gums were numb yet. That done, I hear from the next chair, "I've had a lot of luck with pneumatic jackhammers." More drilling, then my dentist came back to loot my jaw.

As for the extraction, I was shocked at how fast it went. I wanted to pay beforehand because honestly I didn't think I'd feel like it afterward. The hygienist explained that they didn't know how much it would cost until they did it. If it was a "simple extraction" (someone is going to have to clarify that concept for me) it would be one price, and if it was a "surgical extraction" it would be another, higher prices. This would come into play if the root broke or something. So I'm in the chair, numbed up, and the dentist keeps saying, "lotta pressure here." And I hear this pop that I was sure was my tooth breaking in half. Then they put gauze in and he says all done. Whole thing took like 90 seconds. He said the popping I heard was bone fragments from my jaw. He showed me the tooth, and sure enough, there were some small pieces o bone on the side of the root. I asked if I could keep the tooth and he got this weird look on his face. "I guess, if you want. It's just biomedical waste." You know, it may be biomedical waste, but it's MY biomedical waste, dammit!

Wrote me a prescription for motrin and one for demorol, gauze in so I look like I'm chewing tobacco. Think I'll take a nap.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Had mine done back in high school and was higher than a kite for most of the rest of that day. I remember waking up at one point during the extraction and thinking it felt like the dentist had both hands in my mouth.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I had two out when I was 21, both were impacted. The dentist had to open my mouth so wide, it looked like I got punched in the mouth for about a week afterward. Heavy bruising.

But that's nothing compared to the one I had removed two summers ago. The novocaine, all three shots, didn't ... ummm ... work. I felt the nerve being ripped out of my head. Worst pain I've ever had in my life :-\

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Had one taken out when I was in my early 30s. It had broken through the skin and food had gotten under the gum and infected it. So when they gave me the shot to numb my mouth, it didn't work. I got about six shots before they finally kicked. Dentist told me he had fixed a broken jaw with less shots the night before. He told me he could probably cut me head off at that point and I wouldn't feel it. Then, he couldn't get the damn thing out so he gave me gas and had to break it with a drill. Nobody believed me until one of the dental assistants who knew my sister confirmed it. It was almost funny ... until a couple hours later. Then the pain hit. Took one percodan per hour for FOUR hours before the finally eased. Stayed at my mom's house that day and she pulled the curtains because the light felt like a needle poking me directly in the eye. When I finally woke up a couple hours after the percodan knocked me out she made me scrambled eggs. Best freaking meal I ever had. Went through the percodan in about three or four days and when I asked the dentist for more, he gave me Tylenol 3s. Didn't work. I saw him at the hockey game I was covering later that week, he sees how swollen I was still was and went out to the car to get some vicodan. Of course, one of the players thought it would be funny to playfully slap me on the cheek. I was not amused.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I refused to let them do it. They are still in my mouth. No pain, so no worries.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had all four done in January (I'm 31). Only took like 30 minutes, which seemed amazing to me. That must be like the dentist equivalent of a NASCAR pit crew. On the way home, usually a 20-minute drive, I closed my eyes and the next time I opened them we were halfway. It felt like 30 seconds. Spent most of the first day in bed, took the painkillers they prescribed (something called Combunox -- the leftovers made great sleep aids) and ate soup and pudding.

Got the surgery done on a Friday, and the worst part came the next Wednesday. I had tried eating solid food, and apparently some crumbs got up inside the gums where the wisdom teeth used to be. No dry socket, thank god, but some minor irritation that made it almost impossible to even open my mouth. I went back to the dentist, got one of those syringe things, squirted in some mouthwash and water and was fine the next day. By that Friday it felt like I had never even had the surgery.
    Novelist, if you get one of those syringes USE IT! That thing is a lifesaver.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

That was my line of thinking until I had food back in there like TwoGloves did.

Two came out easy & two of them hurt the dentist's hand trying to wrench them out, even after he split them in two. I was in there for an hour & a half at least.

10. I had five teeth pulled in one sitting a couple of years ago. Three were wisdom teeth and two were broken. I remember laying in the chair with the little gas mask over my face thinking, this shit is not going to work. About a half hour later I was all done and couldn't remember a thing. They gave me pain killers, but I didn't use many. The worst part of it was replacing the bloody gauze pads every hour for most of the day. Pretty nasty stuff right there.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Different for different people. I had one out and played softball that night with the gauze in my mouth. A guy on my team had had one out the week before and was home for two days.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If you think that having wisdom teeth taken out is rough, try having a couple put in.

Draft saved Draft deleted