1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Witcher 3 plays like a dream now, only a couple of years after it released and CDPR launched fixes and patches. CP2077 will be the same, and I've resigned to the fact that I won't fully enjoy all of its splendor until next year.

It's not a mystery: The game was one of the most hyped released in recent memory, and the suits wanted the game on shelves -- for nine devices -- before the holidays so they can reap short-term profits. Who cares after that? The company will then focus on bug fixes, and the game will steadily improve. What this experience taught everyone, myself included, is to never, ever pre-order a game, no matter the hype; no matter how polished it looks; no matter who stars in it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nothing new about releasing a game that's basically still in Beta. Repeated patches for bug fixes in the first week are never a good sign. I've already been caught in a couple of bugs that required me to go online to figure out how to get out of an endless loop. It's gorgeous, and I look forward to digging into it, but there are a lot of things that are not well explained or are unlabeled, leading to excessive frustration.

The damn tutorial had me tearing my hair out.

3. Neutral Corner

You must not know Star Citizen. It started out in development in 2010, production in 2011, and was a $2m kickstarter in 2012. It's sorta playable now, although many of the parts are still completely vaporware. It's huge, and beautiful, and well conceived - but it's also such a huge project that they've still barely scratched the surface. It's a space game, allows all sorts of free choice of what to do, but there are so many parts and details that they have yet to really make it a playable product. It's like one long alpha.

"After the initial Kickstarter ended, Cloud Imperium Games continued to raise funds through the sale of ships and other in-game content, and is now noted for being the highest crowdfunded video game and one of the highest-funded crowdfunding projects overall, having raised over US$300 million as of June 2020."

Star Citizen - Wikipedia

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Severian

Star Citizen is a meme; a game we'll likely never see the light of day.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Oh, it's out there. It's loaded on my 'puter. Unfortunately my box isn't powerful enough to really drive it well. You can do all sorts of missions - courier, bounty hunting, mining, trading, space fighters, gunfights planetside, piracy and more. It's just that it's still pretty limited as to the number of systems that are settled and built out. They continue to work on it. It's also still buggy as hell - you can glitch and lose what you've been doing since your last save costing you an expensive cargo, and the Devs periodically reset it and you can lose substantial assets you have put in hours to accumulate.

It's an Alpha build, and it acts like it. You have to understand that and be willing to deal with the frustrations that go along with playing one.

Will it be a fully functional game within the next five years? Maybe. Ten? Ummm, probably?

6. Severian

I, too, have a $30 copy of Star Citizen. But, what I mean is we'll likely never see a worldwide, stabilized, commercial release of the game anytime soon.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I feel like there was a big rush on Kickstarter projects like this when that platform first started, but now, pretty much everyone is leery because of how many of those projects have undelivered, whether we're talking this, Mighty No. 9 or Shaq-Fu 2.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. DanielSimpsonDay

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Was just able to get a PS5 from Walmart. So excited!

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

COME JOIN US YES

The new controller is very, very nice. As good as advertised. If you also got Spider-Man:Miles Morales, you'll see some of what the new graphics can do. The game itself is, IMO, too short to be a standalone AAA title but it's unquestionably fun as hell.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed, though if you don’t already have Marvel’s Spider Man, you can get the remastered version and three DLCs for $20 after you complete Miles Morales. Paying $80 total for the two games is pretty reasonable. I completed Miles pretty quickly, but Spider Man took quite a bit longer. Miles is the better game.

Draft saved Draft deleted