1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The amount of bugs because of the complexity of new games also makes me pause before buying new. Heck, I just finished Portal 2, and even that had issues in two spots for me.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When you guys level up in Skyrim, have you been choosing mostly health to go up?

I'm thinking I've been a little too adventuresome and ventured into a couple harder dungeons and end up getting killed.

I was trying to get to the Graybeards and got sidetracked a couple times (Fort Azul, River City Caves and one other. I think those are the names, if not, they are close).

In one of those places, I ended up getting Lydia killed. Good thing she wasn't holding very much of value. Just extra, run of the mill weapons.

Think I'm only Level 7 so far. I probably need to stay closer to Whiterun and level up more.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'm balancing health and magic because I want to be able to dole out enough punishment to protect myself while at the same time taking the punishment as well.

4. nck228

nck228 Member

Don't know if anyone's been thinking about getting it, but I had the chance to play Saints Row 3 the other day (my little brother got it, and he let me try it out for a bit). It's exactly what you'd expect--more of a guilty pleasure than anything, but still fun.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Wasn't that series originally supposed to be the XBox version of GTA? From the commercials, looks like they decided to play up the cartoony side just a bit. (Although it does crack me up when the guy pulls the mascot head off the other guy to reveal an identical mascot head, then does a double-take.)

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Eh, I'm decent. I was a lot better at MW2 honestly. I think it's the new maps, I'm just not getting a great feel for them. I am disappointed with them overall, but maybe the future map packs will add something new. Oh well.

We will have to play together soon.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm 50-50 on the maps myself. Not really stoked on the lack of sniper spots or sniper friendly maps. In MW2, I just had those maps on lock and knew every little spot and where I could snipe. Hell, trailer park was my favorite map to snipe until someone found me in the trailer.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

There are WAY too many camping spots in the game.

Frustrating to say the least.

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I've been a big fan of the Saints Row games, they were a lot of fun, much like GTA (except 4). The cartoony parts of it were what I loved about GTA before they tried to go hardcore before 4. I'll probably end up picking it up soon before I crawl into a hole and end up playing Skyrim for a year

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Summing up my own playing of the last month: I finally invested a whole night into Portal 2 and cleared it. Loved, loved it. The voicework from Stephen Merchant and the woman who does GlaDOS is especially strong, and I hope they continue the series, or even better, figure out some way to incorporate it more into the Half-Life world. The Aperture Corporation alone has Dharma Initiative from "Lost" potential.

I just started up Uncharted... 1. Okay, I'm behind the times a bit. It's pretty neat, but man, the enemies have Goldeneye Disease. Even though they're just shabby rebels in combat fatigues, it takes three shots from the handgun to knock them down. I wouldn't mind so much if there was an auto-aim option like Goldeneye, or if they didn't magically jump back or to the left or right by five feet whenever they're shot. I'll probably stick through it to the end, but I can also see myself getting way too frustrated at some point and giving up.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to pick up Skyrim yet. Dammit! I've never played it and I'm already jonesing over it.

12. nck228

nck228 Member

No idea if it was initially supposed to be the Xbox version of GTA. But the Saints Row series has always had that cartoony aspect about it. I'd call it a more immature/over-the-top little brother of GTA, especially since GTA IV tried to be way more down-to-earth than its predecessors.

Draft saved Draft deleted