1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It's wild that they don't put as much into the karma as they did the last game. It's more about how a faction perceives you than if you are good or not.
    You can be a good person, but if faction A doesn't like you, they don't like you. You can be evil as all get out, but if you make faction B happy, they will bend over backwards for you, it's pretty interesting.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Very true. I did know they didn't do as much with karma.

After I did my first training mission with Sunny (or whatever her name is), I started wandering around the Wasteland a little (mainly because I couldn't remember how to bring up a map to see where I was. Proceeded to take out two people I saw, but got taken out by a booby trap as I went to explore their campsite.

Should definitely be interesting playing one time trying to appease one faction, then starting over with the other faction.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Man, that sounds a little too complicated for me.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I am stunned at how much deeper Fallout: New Vegas is than Fallout 3. Didn't think it was possible. I'm about 60 hours in and my head is spinning with all of the different tasks and factions to work with and what not. Incredible freaking game.

5. Hank_Scorpio

I'm still way behind on Fallout 3, so I haven't really done anything with New Vegas.

I think I started playing Red Dead, then NHL and Black Ops. I really need to get back to F3 and NV.

But yea, I agree, Cosmo. The replay value on F3 and NV is outstanding. Good karma or bad karma in F3, different factions in NV.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I had to stop for a while. One thing you find out really quick is that the game is shockingly short! When I thought I was in the swing of things and getting through the heft of the mid missions, I turned around and discovered that I had just one more main quest and the game was over! And I wasn't even Level 20 yet! I have been grinding around the desert, killing things for a few weeks now, discovering locations and killing monsters because I want to get to 30 before I finish the game and start over.
    I can't wait until I finish, I am finally excited to give hardcore mode a test.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Got NBA Jam on PS3 a few weeks back and have loved it. The online can be a bit choppy but it's basically like being 16 again.

Anyone else got a PS3 id? Mine's GomerStraw.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just got me Fallout 3 for my birthday. I had been considering picking it up for a while because it seemed a lot like Infamous, which I loved.

Anyone play both? Are they similar? Are they relatively the same difficulty/playability wise?

I want to give it a whirl but am still treading my way through UFC 2010, which I also just got, and am trying to finish up Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I've beaten once and gotten about 70% of the PS3 trophies for.

BTW, sidenote, anyone else frustrated by the whole Platinum trophy system? I love racking up medals and trophies but I feel like I've got to go after every Platinum for the games I play otherwise it just sits there taunting me. Perfect example: Buzz TV. I got the vast majority of those trophies but haven't finished out the online ones because I got sick of the game. It sits at 70 percent and just haunts me everytime I check out my trophy collection.

Same thing with Resident Evil 5 and Gods of War I & II. I only played those games once, just to try them out, and that 0% trophy status bar is irritating me.

Am I the only one that feels like he needs to see 100% on every game listed under his PSN name?

9. Hank_Scorpio

Achievements and Xbox Live is greater than trophies and PSHome (or whatever its called).

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I may be so godawful in video gaming that I had to bow out of the NCAA Football 11 league for sucking too much, but I *am* ranked in the top 90 out of more than 55,000 in Pac-Man Championship Edition DX!

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was in Best Buy yesterday and noticed that Fallout: New Vegas was on sale for $34.99. Useless to me since I own the game (and am going through Wasteland withdrawal after a week at the fam's spot), but I figured I'd pass the word along.

Maybe some fixer will help with the withdrawal symptoms.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Black Ops and a slew of other games are $20 off too at most places. Crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted