1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jun 15, 2006.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Kinda' hard to look like a badass when you're gettingyour shit handed to you.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

One of the most embarassing Ryder Cup losses ever, especially considering how bad Sutton went down in flames for the whole Tiger and Phil debacle. Although Tiger deserves a nice chunk of the blame for acting like a snotty little bitch the entire day he and Lefty were paired together.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know what's going to be the funniest part of today's entire debacle?

All the people who are saying Mickelson's previous achievements have been tainted, that he's back to square one? When Phil wins the British, the same people are going to nod knowingly and say, "Now, he's REALLY a great champion, since he came back from what happened at Winged Foot."

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Agree. It's ridiculous that people are even trying to float that line of thinking. Yes, he gagged. Big time. He's still the guy who shot a 31 on the back nine at Augusta come beat Ernie Els three years ago, and he's still the guy who has won two of the last three majors.

Mickelson really isn't that different from Palmer is a lot of ways. In the 1966 U.S. Open, Arnold Palmer blew a seven shot lead with nine holes to play, then got beat in a playoff by Billy Casper. Did that somehow taint Palmer's other major championships? No, it just made people love him more. Palmer's choke was probably worse than Mickelson's, all things considered. Palmer made dumb decisions for nine straight holes, while Phil just made three moronic decisions on one hole.

However, Phil won't win the British. He's just not a good links player. Too much wind. Neither will Tiger, however. There is a reason that his two British Opens have both come at The Old Course. You don't have to drive it straight to win at St. Andrews. I think you probably have to hit it straight to win at Hoylake. But nobody really knows because they haven't played the British there since 1967.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Tiger is generally strong at the British, 6 top tens in his ten British Opens as a pro, would be seven if not for that horrific 81 in the rain at Muirfield in 2002 that ruined a strong week otherwise. He generally plays well since there is a little less pressure there. If he can find some semblance of his game over the next few weeks I wouldn't completely count him out.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: The Ryder Cup. I'd like to see Wetterich and Johnson there. Those are guys that hit the ball long and have proven they can win Tour events. I don't care if Tiger and Phil weren't there at the Byron Nelson that Wetterich won. Winning a damn golf tournament, any golf tournament, is hard. I'm not so sold on Vaughn Taylor, but I like the consistency the other two have shown.

7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Has anyone seen what the ratings were for the final round?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If I missed this, apologies in advaznce.

Did anyone ask Mickelson what his caddy suggested on the 18th? They have a close enough relationship that the caddy could have forcefully suggested he stow the driver (or even refuse to give it to him), or simply hit the ball out into the fairway.

The ultimate decision is Mickelson's, of couse. But I'd like to know what the caddy thought. And if he's th eone who suggested driver/going for the green, then at least Mickelson didn't (cliche alert!) THROW HIM UNDER THE BUS.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

According to the boys on PTI today, Bones was with Phil on the driver choice, saying he probably wasn't going to be able to reach the GIR if he used a 4-wood off the tee. I have more of a problem with the second shot than the first. You know you're in deep shit, you know you need at least a bogey to make a playoff. Suck it up, lay up and hit a good golf shot close instead of trying for glory on an insanely difficult shot.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Is that what Custer looked like?

Draft saved Draft deleted