1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it doesn't say much that someone can take more than two years off (Clijsters) and then actually be a threat to win this thing.

Or that a 29th seed overcoming shoulder surgery is probably the second favorite right now.

But at least the mediocrity is a little deeper than it was a few years ago, where the first 2-3 rounds of a women's Grand Slam were numbingly predictable.

And if you think it's mediocre now, check out the top players from 1999.

7--Nathalie Tauziat
    8--Barbra Schett
    9--Julie Halard-Decugis
    11--Amanda Coetzer
    12--Anna Kournikova
    13--Sandrine Testud
    14--Domnique Van Roost

Great Dent-Navarro match yesterday. Two serve-and-volleyers going at it for 5 sets. Haven't seen anything like that in a while.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Djerkovic really lets the crowds near unanimous disdain for him really get inside his head.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I covered Witten a bit in college during the NCAAs. I figured he would have gotten in a bit better shape once he turned pro, but he looks the same as he did at Kentucky. Of course, so does his forehand.

I don't really know why it's so easy to dislike Novak, but it is.

4. nafselon

After he won his first major he basically anointed himself as the next best thing.

He's still got that one major. Roddick, even when he was a bit of twit, was a pretty decent guy and now he's everyone's favorite becase he grew up and remained fairly fun to deal with.

Novak is a uptight douche.

5. nafselon

Speaking of twits, Federer just eliminated one from the Open, sending home Hewitt in four rather spirited sets.

6. nafselon

Blake vs. Raj in fourth round? I'm saying there's no way Blake doesn't blow the opportunity for that to happen. I hope he doesn't, but history tells me otherwise.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed, but if he's going to do it anywhere, it's in New York.

And Blake seems to do better when nothing is expected of him, which is largely the case now at this point in his career.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Witten loses in four, as we all knew he would.

I'd like nothing more than to see Isner beat Roddick, whom I don't like much either. Isner's a great guy. I covered him when he was at UGA, even played with him once for a first-person feature. He was surprised I could play, even more surprised when I got his serve back a few times.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm surprised Witten got it to four.

I like Isner, really I do, but go Andy! I want to see a U.S. sweep of the singles titles. Nobody but Andy's got a chance (and his is pretty damned small).

Oudin took the second set from Sharapova. She's really fast, that Oudin. (Not to mention she's short, so she's my new fav player!)

10. nafselon

One thing I didn't know (probably because I never thought about it) but Andy and the Williamses are like BFFs from however long ago.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It makes sense. They're all about the same age. You'd run into the same people all the time at the junior tournaments.

I'd never thought about it either, although Serena always says really upbeat things about Andy when asked.

12. hidden order

hidden order Member

As predicted windy midday match equals trouble for Maria. I thought she'd lose this match the moment I realized CBS would demand that it be played during the day. 17 DFs and counting...

ETA: Oh wow. Now the trainer is working on Maria's repaired shoulder. Win or lose, that's not good.

Draft saved Draft deleted