1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tropical Storm Hanna thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Re: Running Hurricane Hanna thread

All together now: HARD RIGHT TURN! HARD RIGHT TURN! Please?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

We'll be less than a week shy of the seventh anniversary of 9/11 this weekend.

A little freaky, if Hanna ends up wrecking havoc here over the weekend.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You get away with it this weekend. She's making a beeline from east Virginia to the Maine coast in 24 hours this weekend.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand: In one spot, the Weather Channel's site says Hanna could make landfall near the NC-SC border on Friday or Saturday. (This was yesterday, which means it may have changed by now.) Anyway, I checked the forecast for places like Wilmington, N.C., Myrtle Beach, S.C., etc. None of them listed anything more than a 40-percent chance of rain for any point in the weekend.
    How can this be?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Weather Underground lists Wilmington with a 70 percent rain chance tomorrow and Saturday and gives Hilton Head a 70 percent chance tomorrow and 30 on Saturday. Same site gives Newport News, Va., a 60 percent chance of rain Friday, 70 percent Saturday and 30 percent Sunday. Richmond gets a 50 percent chance tomorrow, 70 percent Saturday and 20 percent Sunday.

Different forecasters interpret the same data differently.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Pathetic... all these networks have people on the beach for a tropical storm.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Strong tropical storms can still be a pain in the ass (Gaston and, after its landfall, Isabel come to mind). But Cantore needs to skip this storm and spend some time weatherproofing himself in preparation for his trip to Key Largo or Homestead.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Danger Jim wouldn't miss a chance to mug in front of a camera in anything close to a major wind gust.

He's got a rep to uphold.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Looks like Ireland's under the gun sometime next week. I love when these things last long enough to take a European holiday.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Here in western NJ we got a little bit of rain last night and nothing this morning. In the last half hour the rain has started to arrive again (very steady, but doesn't look like its coming down hard, yet). Not much in the way of wind gusts either right now. The heaviest rain and wind is supposed to arrive in a few hours - right when I'm walking out the door for work.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Will the system help replenish the icecap?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We've had a lot of rain but no "oh my God I'm going to wash away" type of rain. Unless some serious shit is still to come, this hasn't been bad at all. And it looks like it is going to be out of here before the race would have started - wonder if they want that decision back?

Draft saved Draft deleted