1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tropical Storm Hanna thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 28, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Running Hurricane Hanna thread

The Gulf Stream is what usually keeps hurricanes from hitting the area between St. Augustine and Sea Island, Ga., as opposed to the Gulf Stream being about 5 miles offshore in south Florida.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for telling me how the climate in my specific part of the world works. Had no idea, really.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

2muchseriousman... get a grip.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And how in the hell would I know what specific part of the world in which you live? Your screen name isn't 2muchseriousfloridaman.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

That baby's coming a little too close to the Florida coast for me to take much comfort. But the models have shifted so that none of them now bring it onshore in the Sunshine State. It appears it will affect almost every Atlantic Coast state.

6. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Shouldn't be quite that bad. Four years ago Gaston pounded the hell out of Richmond because it was a slow mover. Damn thing sat on top of my house for 18 hours in SC, and cost me a roof. According to the models, once Hanna hits land, it's gonna fly. Should be almost in New York state by Saturday night. Sunday seems like no problem, and given that RIR has lights and is a short track, I wouldn't completely discount Saturday night. Now, if they postpone the thing because they don't want 112,000 folks trucking it up in a monsoon on Saturday morning and afternoon, that's something altogether different.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

And as of the 11 p.m. advisory, models are tracking further east. Eyes peeled, Wilmington.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200808_model.html#a_topad

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Haiti just getting killed by rainfall.

Talk about a tragic country.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Certainly not discounting the hell they're going through, but it's made a lot worse by poor decisions from up top to strip the mountains of their trees. When the rain hits, it speeds down the mountains with nothing to stop it, taking a shit-ton of mud along for the ride and making problems exponentially worse.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Every year you wonder ... is this the year NYC gets hit by a Cat 3?

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

According to that Weather Channel special "it could happen tomororw" NYC is overdue to be hit by a Cat 3.
    I think Floyd was just a Cat 1 or a TS when he hit up here in '99.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There's a scenario in which a strong hurricane coming ashore with the eye west of Staten Island would absolutely destroy lower Manhattan, including the Wall Street area.

Draft saved Draft deleted