1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The players or the announcers?

Just FYI (though no one likely cares): I used to play in Putt Putt tournaments from my teens all the way through college. Never turned pro -- the entry fees for the pro division at the local tournaments seemed ridiculous to the impoverished young me and I wasn't nearly good enough to have won anyway -- but I won my share of amateur events. I was also a coach for the Junior Putters of America -- Putt Putt's little league -- and one of the kids on one of the opposing teams grew up to be three-time PPA national champion Alan Quinnelly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The big question to me is what Tiger does when his U.S. Open exemption runs out. You get 10 years and his last win was '08. Assuming he doesn't find some other way into the 2019 Open, does anyone think he's going to go through qualifiers?

The Masters is a tempting carrot, of course he's exempt for life and he probably always thinks he has one more run at a jacket.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Even if he did make the cut, how's he going to play four days in a row at the Open? Backs don't get better after age 40. Nothing does, but especially backs don't.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pharmaceuticals.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They won't help the back.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would be an interesting British-bookmaker-style bet: Will Tiger ever play on a Sunday at the U.S. Open again? Not only will he likely have to qualify in a couple years, but he'll have to make a cut. And the way he drives the ball now isn't gonna work on an Open course.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh, I was a Putt-Putt fiend in my youth. Won 20+ trophies at the local joint. My best round was a 24 (12-under). On Saturday nights in the summer they would have midnight tournaments. Here I am, a 14-year-old kid, playing in a Putt-Putt tournament that ended about 1:30 a.m. After that, the real fun started. A bunch of twosomes would play $5 a round (with the winning twosome getting the pot). I developed a permanent case of the yips during one of those events. One of my shots hit a metal thingamajig that no player of my caliber would ever hit. Confidence shattered, I lost $35 that night (about two weeks of paper route money). And I haven't been able to putt for shit since.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You were better than me -- I averaged around 31, with an occasional dip into the 20s. On the other hand, I can still putt. :D

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and I never played in a midnight tournament, but the local PP was open all night during the summer, so sometimes I would go with my brother and/or sister and play til the wee hours and stop at Denny's for a milkshake on the way home.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Closing time for the public on those Sat. nights was about 11. Then us tournament players would have the run of the place for an hour to practice. There was always American march music playing on the speakers. Then, at midnight, the national anthem, complete with someone holding up a flag on the 18th hole.

I swear it seems like it was another lifetime.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was. :)

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted