1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Thought it might be easier to give Tiger his own thread.

TW withdraws from Ryder Cup consideration. Put a statement on his website this afternoon.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/08/13/tiger-woods-withdraws-from-ryder-cup-consideration/

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Obviously the right thing to do. He's fallen into the "I'm all better now" trap after so many injuries, it may be too deep to get out of, but at least he's stopped digging.

3. I'll bet the "conversation" with Watson was short and sweet.

4. To that end, I don't think he should tee it up it December.
    I'd like to see him come back healthy. I'd love to see at least one good major duel with Rory.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is like that time I met Alyssa Milano and decided not to ask her out.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Does anyone believe Tiger's doctor told him not to play and Tiger listened to that advice and announced it today?

Tom probably called him and said I'm not picking you. I'll let you announce it due to your injury to let you save face.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watson publicly said that he was leaving it in Tiger's hands, which allowed him to take credit if he did well and blame Tiger if he was hurt.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why would he want to play? He has played the Ryder and Presidents Cup when healthy and never looked interested. The injury lets him out without it looking like he bailed on his country.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think he actually really likes the Ryder Cup and badly would love to win one. (No one gives a fuck about the PC.) I just think he's struggled to find the right mode to get into mentally in partner play. He's been such a FU Alpha Dog for so long, it's hard to play with and encourage other guys because it's just never been his mindset. He's gotten better in recent years, but it's still a struggle.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don't think he ever for a minute enjoyed playing in this thing and is loving that he can beg out of it. remember in 2002 he changed irons from Titleist to Nike right after the PGA. When asked why he shrugged and said, "The Majors are over." Sound like a man taking this event seriously to you?

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In fairness, Mickelson did the exact same thing before the shitshow in Michigan when Sutton was captain. And it's pretty clear Mickelson loves the Ryder Cup as much as anyone.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Woods is doing the only sane, let alone, smart thing. He's months and months of prep work, including just letting his back heal, away from playing competitive championship golf. I'm sure Watson is very grateful for Woods' announcement. I don't think Watson engineered it, but he may have said "Tiger, I have to know right now if you can play or not."
    Point the second. Is the Ryder Cup one of Woods' favorites? No, not at all. But the guy wouldn't tee it up in your Sunday foursome without trying his utmost to obliterate them. It's how he's built.

Draft saved Draft deleted