1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running thread - A siver lining in this economy - low ticket prices

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 16, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't priceline.com somewhat do that? I completely agree that last-minute cheap seats if available should be offered, but the airlines themselves wouldn't do it because it would probably be a PR nightmare on some level, plus if they can just sell one seat to a businessman or someone willing to pay those sky-high last-minute fares it would be just as good as selling 10 seats at bargain-basement prices.

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Thing about Priceline is, if you want to name your own price, you can't predict which flight you're going to get. You could be put on a flight at any time during the day, adn you don't find out until after you've paid. So unless you have a full free day, it's a sketchy proposition.

But I use Priceline all the time for hotels and love it.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Second that. I used the hotel feature and got a hotel room that was going for $189 for $82 -- including taxes.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The problem with this is that the travelling public gets accustommed to the last minute deals and advance bookings dry up even more.

Who would book in advance if they consistently knew that they could get it a deep discount the day before.

Generally speaking people who buy a last minute ticket need to get where they are going and are willing to pay a premium for it.

That's why it is usually more expensive day of instead of a month out.[/airline fanboi]

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I got pretty good Pirates tickets for fairly cheap, but I think that has more to do with the quality of Pittsburgh baseball than the economy.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You will LOVE the stadium.

See if you can park where you can walk across a bridge to the game.

Oh, for $56, you can sit in the front row and manage an inning.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was in Memphis on a Saturday night recently and decided to see a Grizzlies game for the hell of it. When I attempted to pay $30 for an upper level seat, the window clerk refused, instead selling me a $25 ticket "on special." In this case, on special meant the corner of the lower bowl, about 12 rows back from courtside. And there were still acres of empty seats around me.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Grizz aren't much longer for the Bluff City. Enjoy while you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted