1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running thread - A siver lining in this economy - low ticket prices

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yeah I was able to find tix from New Orleans to Portland for $425 on Monday, leaving today, returning next Monday ...

of course it was all moot, on layoff day, nobody was going down the street, much less the Pacific Northwest ...

maybe when I get my tax return, when I'm on furlough

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hard to believe today, but just fourteen years ago, face value on a regional final ducat was $20. That's how I got to see the Midwest final at Kemper in '95 after Virginia upset KU.

Of course, mind you, there were lots of Rock Chalk bargains on the streets of KC that Sunday.

3. KP

KP Active Member

The Giants are hoping "Dynamic Pricing" will help boost sales of some cheap seats.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60741

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Philly, session one is down to $12.

Greensboro has a ton for cheap as well.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Haven't looked, but trust that Nighty-Night with Nova is pricier.

6. 93Devil

Yep, but it is facinating watching these prices move from day to day.

Oh, I thought it was VCU driving the night price?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That late game should be pretty good, but the Lure of Nova is irresistable, even to the Great Unwashed of the Philly area.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Rhody: The reason a team wouldn't drop prices for unsold tickets is because that would mean that people who purchased the tickets in advance or purchased season tickets would pay $40 for something that would be sold for $30. The people who bought the tickets early would feel like suckers.

Most ticket sales for local theaters offer a less expensive rate if you buy it in advance. This makes more sense, because you are giving people a benefit for buying early and the team gets the money earlier. It is a better way to treat your customers.

9. 93Devil

First level seats (in the 100s) now down to $30 in Philly for the first session.

Upper level as low as $10.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

US Open tickets at Bethpage the first time around were a gold mine. I bought four weeklong passes, used two and the profits from selling the other two paid for my entire trip to NYC. Me and my buddies all put in for last year's ticket lottery, most of us got through and we now have 16 sets to get rid of. If someone offered me 15 percent above face right now I'd be very happy.

And yeah, if you've got plenty of cash this is the year for the Super Bowl, Masters, you name it.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I thought about that when I was flying home from Mexico. The plane was maybe half-filled.
    Couldn't airlines say OK, you show up day of flight and you can have 300 pounds worth of stuff - that means you and luggage - and charge like 50 bucks for a one-way ticket?
    People would still book and pay high prices for a guaranteed seat. But if a plane is only going to be half full, aren't they stupid to not take 75 bucks for a seat?

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Rhody: What you say does make sense for an airline. My cousin gets flights like that, but she travels alone to visit family.

It doesn't make sense for a sporting event or theater. With the airlines, a person who paid a low price may sit next to a person who paid a higher price depending on the circumstances

Draft saved Draft deleted