1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "The War" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was perhaps the decision that had the greatest effect on the world in the 20th century. If you are going to do a WW II epic documentry you can't give cursory treatment to Truman's decision to drop bomb. It changed the lives of millions.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As numb as the US had become to battle casualties by that stage in the war, didn't the kamikaze attacks and the extended fighting for Okinawa, particularly Sugar Loaf Hill, reinforce a feeling that losses in a mainland invasion of Japan would be too catastrophic even by WWII standards? Was it really that much of a decision at that point?

3. It was a huge decision. There was real controversy in military and scientific circles. (My memory's hazy, but I think Ike was not on board.) Nobody was sure if it would work. Nobody except the scientists had any idea what the aftermath would be like, and they probably underestimated it, too. And Truman was brand new on the job and widely considered to be way over his head.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have no reason to doubt you. I did, however, come to a better understanding of the "we don't have a choice" viewpoint after watching the show.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The decision was based on saving the lives of US troops but certainly any decision that involves taking the lives of thousands of human beings can't be an easy or trivial one.

6. boots

boots New Member

Enjoyed the series. There have been discussions about the use of the A-Bomb. I've often wondered if had Germany not surrendered when it did, where would the first A-bomb attack be at.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We know now, and it's possible Truman and company knew then, that had we not used the A-bomb, Japan and Germany were not far behind on theirs.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Berlin.

Probably Berlin and Tokyo, within a couple days of each other. The message would have been pretty clear. "That's it. We've had enough. Give it up."

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dunno . . . believe they were evaluating cities that were big enough for legitimate demonstration rather than starting at the tops of the lists.

Draft saved Draft deleted