1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "The War" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That one stat about rolling a completed bomber off the assembly line every 63 seconds was mind-boggling to me.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - I can't take a leak in 63 seconds.

3. I finally made it. I've reached the limits of what I need to know.

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

[/quote]

[/quote]

(Snapping on the gloves) Ok, this is going to hurt you more than it will me.

5. Boom_70

[/quote]

(Snapping on the gloves) Ok, this is going to hurt you more than it will me.
    [/quote]

Can anyone-- when you factor in pre leak prep and hand washing?

6. That Al McIntosh could write a little.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've recorded it every night.. is fascinating...

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Yeah I heard his interview on Laura Ingram's radio show the other day and they discussed the complaints of being too U.S.-centric. He even took calls from her listeners comparing how today's military compares to that of WWII - not about updates in equipement, but rather the people themselves and how they are treated in the media and upon returning from battle.
    It was one of the most interesting interviews and caller Q&As I have heard on the radio in a while regarding this war or any other war. This guy has a passion for showing not telling the story and I cannot wait to kick back and enjoy another masterpiece.

9. Boom_70

All and all well done. Burns does a great job of relating what when happened on home front before, during and after war.

I watched his interview after show on PBS and he seemed a tad full of himself in what he accomplished in The War. It also seemed like there was a definate point of view that he wanted to put forth.

10. The Christmas '45 scenes at the end were very, very effective.

11. Boom_70

As was the pictures from Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Everytime I see that cloud I get a knot in the pit of my stomach. It is very unsettling. Thought they could have spent a bit more time of Truman decision .

12. Boom --
    That was a criticism most people had. Of all the things they skated over, that decision probably most deserved an extended look.

Draft saved Draft deleted