1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 11, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Pacific division was the best division in hockey yet the Canucks dominated it. Smash seems to believe the only reason the Canucks were any good is because they played in the worst division in hockey.

2. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Okay.

Wait, never mind, I got it. I thought we were saying the Canucks played in the Pacific.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

And I'm saying part of the reason the Canucks had the lowest GAA in the regular season was they played eight games (a full 10 percent of the season) against the weakest teams they were. Did they dominate the Pacific? Couldn't tell you, though they sure as shit dominated Dallas. But no matter how many times you try to change the subject, JC, you can't deny that Vancouver had the easiest path to any regular-season quantity award because of the quality of competition they faced overall. Hell, speaking to defensive numbers in general, two of the bottom five offenses in the league were in their division. If I'm doing my math right, Vancouver finished eight goals ahead of Boston in the Jennings race. The divisional imbalance could easily account for that.

But really, arguing about things being just peachy for the Canucks because of those regular season numbers, and that's missing the point. When the goal is always a post-season award, pointing to regular-season success as a reason to keep things nearly the same is a losing prospect. Just ask San Jose. Like I said, I don't advocate a complete sell off for any team, but Vancouver has several key questions to address this offseason that were exposed in the playoffs, particularly the Chicago series and the Finals.

And you keep bringing up the trap thing. You did see the scores Vancouver won by the Finals, right? The Canucks ran a version of the trap to perfection when they had the lead throughout the playoffs. Hell, it was smart of them. It got them one win away from the Cup. You seem to think I'm insulting them by noticing the trap, but it's just an observation.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I do agree Vancouver padded its regular season record by dominating a weak division. Not their fault, of course, but it is what it is and no other team from the Northwest made the playoffs.

Luongo is a real head-scratcher. How can a guy be so good one night and so shaky the next?

I agree with JonnyD that the salary cap is rising too much too fast and the league could wind up back in the same situation it was before the 2004-05 lockout. Time will tell.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

For fuck sakes Smash, open your eyes. Those games were only close because Thomas stood on his head. They kept attacking in each of those games. Their philosophy is nothing like those of The Devils and Stars. Of course with a lead every team doesn't attack as much but your comaprison and observations are out to lunch.

Also as far as schedules go, yes they played in the weakest division but the strength of the overall conference more than makes up for that. The West was far superior to the east overall, that in itself balances things out. If you don't believe me check out the overall records East vs West.

Draft saved Draft deleted