1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running shoes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I've always worn cross trainers instead of running shoes because I feel like I get more ankle support. I've been wearing Nike Air Monarch III cross trainers for a year and a half now. They have an air cushion that seems to take a lot of pressure off my back. Best way to save cash on sneakers is google "sports authority $20 off $100 coupon," assuming there's one near you. I end up buying 2-3 pairs, and sometimes a pair of socks at the closeout rack to get me over $100. Running is great, but an alternative that gets you just as good a workout with way less impact is walking upstairs on a treadmill. I go 30 minutes at 3.5 mph with the incline maxed out at 15, and it's a rush. Best of luck in your endeavor. Working out sucks, but the rewards outweigh the effort exponentially. Finishing a workout is an amazing feeling.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My passion for running really took off when I got...a watch. And started keeping track of distance through MapMyRun.com

I used to just run to the end of the street, down to the railroad track, around the corner, etc. etc. I didn't keep track of time or distance.

Once I started doing both, you get to really see your progress. It took you 26 minutes to run that 2.2 mile route just six months ago. Now you got it in 22 minutes.

Seeing that progress will really get you enjoying running.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I would echo the earlier comment of doing anything but running. At least first.

If it's been years ago, and you're heavier, and you've been a smoker. I would seriously, seriously consider getting your endurance up (even for just a month) using a stationary bike or an elliptical or anything.

These things aren't going to make your knees hurt. They aren't going to give you shin splints. And you don't need special shoes.

If you get past that and keep it up for a month, then start back on the running.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Probably great advice. Hard for me to relate, because I have never had to start from that base. But you should walk. Then build yourself up to walk / short jog alternating. Then on to longer periods of jogging, etc. Until you have taken it really slow and built yourself up to running. For one thing, I'd guess you are going to have trouble running if you are not in shape. And you do risk doing damage. Shin splints, as people pointed out, are the most likely culprit, but there are so many ways to screw up your legs. And trust me, you don't ever want to deal with a stress fracture. I'd take it really slow, build up endurance first and then ease my way into running.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Good luck.

There's a ton of good shoes. I wouldn't buy anything made by Nike, but that's just my personal preference. If you've put on some weight, you might look for shoes that are constructed with the heavier runner in mind.

And someone else made the recommendation: Buy two pairs and alternate usage. That's a very good tip.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I agree with that. It's best to drop some weight before trying to run. The chances of hurting yourself with 100 pounds of excess weight are too great. I know. I've been there.
    In addition to the bike or eliptical, maybe try a bodyweight circuit with squats, pushups, body rows, crunches and the like.
    If you're set on running, check out Running: Getting Started by Jeff Galloway. He starts you off running 5-10 seconds at a time with lots of walk breaks.
    As for the shoes, once again, go to running store and get fitted there. Don't get hung up on a particular brand. All the major ones are good, but some will definitely be better for you than others. Someone at a running store should be able to find the best shoe for you.

7. Cold-related asthma makes it tough for me to run in the winter, so I've still got a couple of months before I start running again, and I spend the interim hitting the stationary bike pretty regularly. Far fewer leg and knee problems, I can do it at home, and it fits into my schedule easily because I generally do my workout while I'm watching TV. If you're just getting back into shape, I'd recommend using a stationary bike first, then ease into a new running schedule. Plus, on days when it's raining, you can get your workout in indoors.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm up to 30+ miles a week right now, and I'm a Newton convert. Seriously have changed my life.

The problem for many will be the prohibitive cost. Their base model trainer is $150; I have one pair of those and one pair of $180 trainers. The cheaper ones wear better, and my next pair might be them again, with a pair of race models.

The kinds of shoes might not be for somebody trying to just get going, but the natural running movement would tell you that you should be running in those kinds of shoes no matter where you are in the process. Also know this: The natural deal is taking off. New Balance is coming out with a natural shoe, and others are, too. There's a decided move away from the big built-up shoes that encourage the unnatural process of heel-striking.

Draft saved Draft deleted