1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shoes - 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Looking back, I believe I could have run a little faster, but I was listening to my head and watch instead of my legs and ass. Before the race, I had calculated to run 9:20 miles to better my time in the first 5K I did. When I realized I was running just over 9, I thought "this is cool and I'm doing better than expected" and just kind of put it on cruise control. If I had been thinking properly and evaluated how I felt, I would have picked it up. Oh well, I'm new to this and learning. Next time I'll know.

I don't think I will get up near the fast guys in my age group. I think the group winner ran 21-something.

Fortunately, I'm a sports writer at an afternoon paper, so getting up at 5 a.m. is my daily routine.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Probably a dumb question ... but here goes. I don't run. I have no intention of becoming a runner. But I do like to walk. And by walking, yes, the power walking that the weird looking people in the park do. Will a good running shoes do the trick for me? Or do I need a specific walking shoe? I ask because the shoes I have (Nike) don't seem to be helping. My ankles feel like crap and most times, I have to stop walking just because my ankles are hurting. And I have no ankle trouble, other than when I put on the Nikes and walk.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't really give advice about walking shoes, but I do run. Are you sure you are not seeing early signs of shin splins?

I haven't had a shin splint problem in years, but I did at one time, and I kept running on them through the pain, and gave myself stress fractures in both legs. So if you are pushing yourself and you have pain in your ankles, my suggestion is shutting it down and figuring out what is causing it before continuing.

I am in my 40s now, and I do more stretching than I really want to spend time doing. ... just to run. In addition to a variety of other stretches, I do a lot of exercise to strengthen the muscles around my shins and just warm them up. You should put together a complete stretching routine, but include wall shin raises, rolling your foot over a bar (or heel on the ground, foot over the bar stretching), heel step downs, heel hops, etc. They can help prevent shin splints by strengthening your lower leg muscles, if that is what you may be dealing with.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

First question is: How old are the Nikes? If you've been wearing them for a couple years, and they're your all-purpose errand-running shoes, forget it. You need new shoes.

If you're having any kind of ankle pain, go to a store that specializes in athletic shoes, somewhere that will fit you and tell you what you need. Not a Sports Authority, but somewhere with knowledgeable salespeople who understand the products.

Also, Nikes sometimes look good but that's about it. You want something with good support, and lots of cushion in the heel. Love my New Balance, strongly recommend. Good luck!

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've been a big fan of New Balance and Saucony for a while now. They're both great shoes.

I've had a pair of New Balances for about a year now and they're just starting to fall apart. I use them for everything, working (on my feet 8-9 hour shifts), running and biking).

This time of year if you're not a serious runner -- just running a couple miles at a time or need a good pair of work sneakers -- you can pick up a pair of New Balances or Sauconys for $40-60 at Marshalls/TJMaxx. My cross country coach in high school used to tell his teams to just got to Marshalls if they couldn't afford the hyper-expensive, personalized shoe and they'd be fine. They carried the Asic Gels last year but I haven't seen any this year.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

One thing I'd reiterate reading recent posts is to rotate your shoes out. I simply keep a pair that I wear only for running for 3-4 months. Because I usually rotate run/bike days, they get a chance to recover from long runs, so I don't rotate 2 pairs like some runners).

When they get retired, they become walk-around shoes. If you see me in runners at a ballgame, they are my retired runners. I'll wear those for as they don't look too ratty (at which time they become my lawn-mowing shoes before finally making their way to the dumpster).

Your tires need good tread, if you know what I mean. You can avoid a lot of problems doing this.

The only thing about Marshall's/TJ Maxx is you sort of need to know what kind of shoe is right for you in advance, then you need to be able to identify that shoe yourself, because the staff at a Marshall's won't be able to help you with the right kind of runner for your stride, gait, etc. If you have a list of shoes that are appropriate for you and find one at Marshall's, then go for it.

7. Shoeless Joe

Well, today was the day for the 4-mile race my wife signed me up for when I started this thread.

I'm tickled to death to report that I won my age group (40-44) with a time of 33:43. I've been running a lot and felt good about my time. I had no idea I'd won until the awards presentation. Sometimes, a $2 trophy is worth a million bucks. I wasn't anywhere near the young buck overall winners, but that doesn't matter. Back in March there is no chance I could have run four miles, not even considering a good time.

I've also lost 25 pounds since Christmas, so that's pretty nice, too.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Congrats, SJ! Which shoes were you wearing? :D

9. Shoeless Joe

New Balance 993. Made in the USA!

Thanks.

I won my group and finished 36 of 147 overall. That's not too bad, me thinks.

The funny part of the race, which was sponsored by the American Cancer Society, was it had a 4K walk to go along with the 4 mile race. I saw a car load of walk participants get out of their car all smoking cigarettes!

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Congrats Joe. I find that most of the participants - and where I am, many of the faster runners - are in your (and my) age group.

There's nothing like impending middle age to make people want to try to reclaim their bodies. My experience is that 21-year-old runners are almost all track athletes or athletes in other sports who have running as part of their workout regimen (pitchers, for example).

But sometime in the 30s, people get that fever.

So, in a way, winning a 40-44 age group is impressive given all that.

11. Shoeless Joe

There is a thread in Journalism Topics, but I feel this is also an appropriate thread to give a shout out for a RIP SF_Express.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

did we ever answer the trail-road question? If so, copy it so my dumb old ass will see it. If not, SOMEONE ANSWER!!!

I live .8 mile down a dirt road. Is there a good combo shoe out there made to take the fat man's beating?

Draft saved Draft deleted