1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shoes - 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Cautionary tale:

Newtons revived my running career in summer of 2010, to the point I have now had seven pairs (well, eight, but that's part of it). Despite the expense, worth it to me. Only a few pairs gave me trouble; one trainer wore really badly. Stability shoes I bought didn't help me, and I never liked them. And the MV2s were just not very much shoe for my size.

So I attended a Chi running workshop and Danny Dreyer, the Chi author, said he wasn't a big fan of Newtons. Didn't hate them, said he thought other shoes were better.

So sheep-like, I looked around and bought a pair of Brooks PureFlows. Loved them. Ran some workouts in them, and ran a 22:10 5K in them a couple of weeks ago. But they're completely different than Newtons, much more cushioned, and I came out of the race with my Achilles' screaming.

So I limped around, ran some workouts in my old Newtons, and Achilles got better.

And I bought an eighth pair of lighter weight Newtons for racing last night.

Moral of the story: If you've got shoes you love, don't go changing up. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I ran my first 5K today (race, not distance). I finished in the upper part of my age group and set a new PR for the distance. It was fun.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did you have something on your feet or were you shoeless?

Good work.

4. Shoeless Joe

gotta wear the kicks. too many rednecks around here that think it's ok to throw glass beer bottles in the middle of the road!

thanks

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm going to say this: I have no brand loyalty. I never thought I'd wear Nikes to run in again, but that's what I'm running in now.

Gotta do the Pepsi Challenge. Gotta put them on your feet, take 'em for a spin down the street. Go to a store that will let you do that. It makes all the difference.

I've always been big on Saucony, Aasics, Brooks and New Balance (to a less extent). Usually, my only Nikes are worn on a basketball court.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Just bought a pair of Brooks PureConnect to replace the Nike Free Runs I screwed up and put in the dryer (put in the wash, distracted while moving to dryer and didn't remove, yada yada yada). Went in to buy another pair of Free Runs and the salesguy convinced me to give these a chance. First run tomorrow morning but I love the feel.

7. Shoeless Joe

When did I start this thread, Feb. it looks like, so an update ....

I've got close to a couple hundred miles on the 993s now and completely love them. I actually broke down and bought a second pair to alternate. They are holding up really well, my flat feet have no issues at all and are very comfortable.

Although when I started the thread, I said I wasn't becoming a runner, but doing a one off event that my wife (a runner) signed me up for, but it does seem I have become a runner. I'm doing my third 5K tomorrow and have a half marathon on the calendar in Sept. When I started running, about the time of starting this thread, I'd go out for a two-mile run and it would be run a half, walk a quarter, run a half, walk a quarter, run a quarter, walk a half, etc. at about a 13+ minute per mile pace. Last weekend, I did 9.5 miles at about 9:30 pace without stopping.

The 18 pounds I've lost are pretty nice, too.

8. BrianGriffin

Update for me: The Nikes didn't age well. I'm due to replace them and, safe to say, I won't replace them with more Nikes. Likely to go back to Aasics, Brooks, maybe New Balance.

Nike is good for basketball, ugly football uniforms and people who like swooshes.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, Joe, it's too late, you've definitely become a runner.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Something I didn't really do early and paid for it was get my shoes a half-size bigger than I typically wear. I had a friend who runs a lot and made evaluations toward what I needed: stability shoe.

That extra room gives your foot room to move without your toes jamming into the front of the shoe.

I was up to 52 miles a week at my peak. Nowhere near that now, but I still enjoy it. And considering how poorly I take care of myself otherwise, I've got to do something to push things in my favor.

11. Shoeless Joe

I ran the 5K today and had a PR. Considering it's only the third one I've done, I know that's not really hard to do, but I did it, so there. I ran 28:32 which was top third of the whole field, mid pack for my age group. Why the hell are so many 40-49 year olds in my area fast!?

I used to be a pretty competitive cyclist. I raced regularly, was USCF licensed, the whole nine yards. In three running events I have noticed one major difference: cyclists (myself included) are dicks; runners support each other. At bike races, if someone is slower than you or doesn't have as nice a bike or as expensive clothes, you are obligated to look down on them. At running events, the fastest people hang out at the finish line and cheer on the stragglers. That's pretty cool.

12. BrianGriffin

Joe, 28:32 being top third in a 5K gives me hope.

I've been a runner for a quite a while but I haven't run in a competitive race since a 5-miler in 1988 or so. I'm 200-plus pounds so my assumption was that I'd be lapped by a field of skinny 130-pounders. And by 200-plus pounds, I mean that at 205 or so, I'd assume by body fat percentage would be ideal.

But 28:32? That's attainable for me if I can't already do that (since I'm not preparing for races, I never do speed work). Now I think I can go out there and not embarrass myself. Only problem? Races are usually at 8 a.m. And I'm a sportswriter. 8 a.m. still means the end of an all-nighter or the middle of a REM cycle, not time to toe a starting line.

Draft saved Draft deleted