1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Selection Sunday Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Mar 16, 2008.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Um, I'd just like to share with you all that my cable is screwed up.

Not entirely though, JUST CBS AND ESPN.

On selection Sunday.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

If God is real he'll have Clemson, Illinois and Georgia win today :).

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Blame your next door neighbors...from Wisconsin. They like to take glee in harassing Gophers fans.

4. Predictions for which mid-major will get fucked the hardest?

I'll go with VCU being snubbed, while Arizona gets in

5. I know in the past the Big 12 Tourney winner has not actually been taken in account. Committee members have said the game was over too late for them to factor it in, so they just used each team's resume up to that point.
    Of course, I don't know how they can do that today with Georgia and Illinois in the mix, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Kansas put as a 1 and Texas a 2 no matter what happens in Kansas City.

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Say what?

Kansas (29-3 overall, 15-3 big 12)
    Big 12 Regular Season Champion
    RPI #7 RPI
    Non Conf. RPI: #10
    SOS: #60
    Non Conf. SOS: #156
    Record vs. top 50: 6-2
    Record vs. top 100: 13-3
    Wins against NCAA field (bracketology teams): 7 - Arizona, USC, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas State
    5 best wins (RPI): #29 Okla. (22-11); #30 USC (21-11); #40 Tex A/M (23-10) X2; #41 Arizona (18-14); #43 Baylor (20-10)
    Worst Loss: Oklahoma State#72

Tennessee (29-4 overall; 15-3 SEC)
    SEC Regular Season Champion
    RPI #1
    Non Conf. RPI: #1
    SOS: #1
    Non Conf. SOS: #3
    Record vs. top 50: 11-3
    Record vs. top 100: 14-3

Wins vs. NCAA field (using Bracketology): 10 - Memphis, Xavier, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Kentucky, West Virginia, Temple, Gonzaga and Western Kentucky. (Number could rise to 13 if Ohio State and Georgia get in)

5 Best Wins (RPI):
    #3 Memphis (33-1); #9 Xavier (27-6); #11 Vanderbilt (26-7); #25 Arkansas (22-10); #28 West Virginia (23-10)
    Worst Loss: Kentucky #60

Bruce Pearl said it best in his post game remarks on Saturday. Take the names off the top of those resumes and its a no-brainer. Depends on if the committee decides to use a challenging schedule or a conference tournament as the measuring stick. In Pearl's first year, the Vols were thought to be contending for a high seed in the closing weeks, lost to South Carolina in the SEC quarters and wound up a #2 seed, because of the high RPI and SOS.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That sounds accurate.

I only pray to God that if VCU gets snubbed, one of the shitfucks at CBS has the brains/balls to ask Tom O'Connor why VCU was left out after it won the conference by three games and lost in the semis yet George Mason got in after it split the regular season title and lost in the semis. (And if anyone wants to tell me to shut up, blow me, it's a relevant question)

Of course, that means Packer and Nantz have to have a clue about someone outside the big six conferences, and I'm not holding my breath on that.

8. Hack, don't forget that Texas beat Tennessee.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

That is correct, but saying no way in hell is a bit much.

Texas has more of an argument than Kansas for the #1 seed.

Texas and Tennessee own the 3 best road wins of the year.
    Tennessee at Memphis and Xavier and Texas at UCLA.

10. Texas defeated No. 3 UCLA, No. 4 Tennessee and No. 5 Kansas and could get the Jayhawks again today. I'd say that is way more deserving than Tennessee, if the Longhorns get the win today.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Prediction for which team Bill Self will blow another shot at the Final Four against?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, American DID win the Patriot League.

Draft saved Draft deleted