1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 3, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When the spring kicks in I usually like to start up an outside running program. Thought it might be fun to have a tread of favorite locations to run.

My favorite is the loop in Central Park on early spring evening. Not yet too hot and plenty of scenery.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I prefer to run around the reservoir. I have fragile legs and the surface is much softer than the pavement of the loop. It's also a more airy run.

A bit unrelated, but anyone who has spent any time there knew Alberto Arroyo, who was sort of the mayor of the park and a presence near the reservoir for years and years. ... He died recently. He was old the last few years and restricted to a wheel chair, but people still volunteered to pick up up at his nursing home and bring him out to the reservoir, where he would sit and watch people and talk to anyone who stopped to say hi. He was an avid jogger for years.

Here is his obit in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/nyregion/27arroyo.html

The day we read it, we went out to the reservoir and left flowers there to honor his memory. He was the reservoir, as much as anyone. The obit filled in so many details about his life that I didn't know, and I was blown away by how many people a humble man with just a smile and a friendly personality had touched in his lifetime. We were talking that day about how that is as well spent a life as any.

Here was a story that ran a few days later about the tributes to him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/29/nyregion/29park.html

I hope it isn't a thread hijack. You mentioned the park and jogging and it made me think about his recent death.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I really need to get my ass moving again. I miss running. Used to be, that was my favorite part of travel - finding places to run in new cities. Any city with a running trail along a body of water got high marks.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hear ya, Moddy. I get on the treadmill a few times a week, mainly because I feel I get a better workout there. Running outside, it's far easier to run slower without even knowing it. On a treadmill, I can set the speed and know I'm getting a better workout. That said, I enjoy running outside way more than a treadmill.

Last summer, I ran a lot along the GW Parkway and the Potomac River. Freaking gorgeous! Especially as the sun is setting. Just awesome.

5. I was just getting into a good groove the last few days, then my iPod shuffle headphones crapped out on me. So the momentum I'd gained is lost until I can get a new pair. My recommendation to anyone with a 3rd-generation shuffle: Always have backup headphones.

I'm planning on having one of those best-shape-of-my-life summers. It's been a rough year to stay in shape - I've been a full-time student three semesters in a row beginning last May, had a child last June (my first), and have been wrapping up a book project the whole time, as well. I'll finally have a little spare time to hit the road, and I plan to hit the road running. I love to run the Chicago lakefront when I have time.

I was looking at the latest Esquire, and there was a little tidbit about what women look for when a man is age 35: "No belly." Now, I'm married, so there's no need to worry about what the lady folk think, except one of them. But with that milestone not too far away, it was a nice reminder to get running ASAP and hopefully hit my mid-30's without a dad belly.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

It's difficult for me to run outside because of my location. I'm in a gated apartment complex located on a hilly, curvy and sidewalk-less road. I have to cut through some yards to get to a neighborhood with sidewalks.

It kinda sucks because I used to run outside all the time but since moving here in November, I've been mostly relegated to the treadmill. That's not terrible, but I do miss running outside. There's only so much you can see on a treadmill. Running outside means things are always different.

I'm on that treadmill M-F, 7:30 a.m., and over four miles a day. I switch it up with increased speed and incline so I don't plateau.

7. JackReacher

NDub...is there not a place you can drive to and run? There's really not a good place to run in my neighborhood either, but the running path along the Potomac is like three miles away. Easy drive.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

JackReacher - Yeah, there are. But I don't really have a spot to park. I'm obviously not going to park in somebody's driveway, and there are no spots alongside the road to park.

The closest neighborhood is about a mile away, and I've walked there a few times. One problem with running in the morning is that the sun isn't too high in the sky and there are tons of trees that make it a pretty dark road. So I'm leary about walking.

And I'm not sure I'm too keen on getting up a massive sweat and then stinkin up my car. Ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

Fair enough.

Any parks within driving distance? Most of those have ample parking.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the times I've been there always enjoyed running the boardwalk at VA beach.

One of other great spots is Waikiki towards Diamond Head.

11. JackReacher

The boardwalk in VA Beach is awesome. It's like 2.3 miles or something like that. The wife and I almost always bike it a half dozen times when we visit, which is frequent. Great boardwalk.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Only running I've done in VaBeach is to Pi's Pizza

Draft saved Draft deleted