1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running RIP thread for musicians who died in 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Jan 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back in the early 80s a friend of mine had an extra ticket for Alabama and Roy Orbison at the Grandstand during the Canadian National Exhibition here in Toronto. I jumped at the chance to see Orbison who was great but this teenage rocker was knocked out by Alabama even more so because they hung around after their set to sign autographs.

maumann and Tighthead like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. maumann

5. maumann

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

As a 66 year old, I denounce all these dying 72 and 73 year olds.

7. TheSportsPredictor

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

And here I always thought Dr. Feelgood was a soul group. The co founder and guitarist Wilco Johnson passed away Nov. 21, I saw it on Wikipedia, so thought I would have a look. Any Feelgood fans here?
    Like wow, great friggin band. Hopefully this links to the 15 minute video. If you like rock and roll at the pre beginning of punk this is a must see….Live at Southend Kursaal.

Link didn’t load, just Google it and enjoy.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Sound-wise, they were basically a bar band made good (in fact, they were early representatives of the British Pub Rock genre). Their act, though, was visually a lot of fun, with frontman Lee Brilleaux dripping with sweat while Wilko Johnson stalked the stage like a robot. Brilleaux and Nick Lowe were longtime friends, and both had a role in the founding of the Stiff Records label.

Johnson went on to join Ian Dury and the Blockheads. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 10 years ago, and many assumed he was near death. But he managed to survive after extensive surgery.

After his diagnosis, he recorded what was expected to be his final album, a collaboration with Roger Daltrey on old Feelgood numbers. Here's one of them:

misterbc and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted