1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every once in a while I’ll go into town to something like a rally for DACA recipients or March For Our Lives or some such. And often towards the end of the program they’ll have one or two of the original foot soldiers from the Birmingham Movement up to speak, almost as an afterthought. And I will shake my head and wonder why these people aren’t revered daily.

Carry Me Home isn’t a perfect book (it goes a little too much into the author’s angst about growing up as a white girl in privileged circles) but it lays out a great deal of the history mentioned in that thread. I recommend it to anyone trying to understand Birmingham, then and now.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I had a discussion with a couple of recent college grads who had never been taught about the three murdered civil rights workers, the dead girls in the church bombing, or freedom riders. They literally had never heard of any of it, and they grew up in the liberal Northeast.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was seven and living in Atlanta when the bombing happened. I didn't really understand what it was all about, but little girls getting blown up at church was unfathomable. A month later President Kennedy was shot.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

These days it’s satisfying to see a lot of Karens’ rants coming back to bite them in the wallet. But trump was president once, and he is the worst person to hold elective office in the US in 100 years. If he would have been re-elected there’s a good chance that the christians would have sought to fire everyone who participated in a ProBLM protest. Wait until Texas makes it illegal to have any abortion and Texas employers fire people would have pro-choice messages in their social media.
    There are some slippery slopes that while possible are implausible. It’s not implausible for the tide to turn and promoting ‘liberal’ policies is cause to fire private sector employees

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I always wonder. ... Did this person really think this was a good idea, that the protest would garner support; make people think, "Yeah, her anti-vax / blackface thing is just like Rosa Parks!"? Or is a person like that really not all that clueless; and is trying to piss people off and start a dumpster fire by doing the one thing that's guaranteed to make people lose their heads?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Much like the woman who came through my line maskless, was asked to put one on and replied with "I can't breathe.'

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No no no, it's just their Faux Fascist Noise/white trash oppositional defiant disorder, "if the n****ers get to cry about riding on a bus, then I get to cry about wearing a mask."

Basically their entire worldview is, "the n*****ers+ cried about (fill in the blank), so I get to cry about (fill in the blank)."

+ Or any non-Christian white male minority

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Oh, the Moms for Liberty
    From the hills of Tennessee
    Never had no problem with the Trump crime spree

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted