1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Reform? Shit, I don’t even think I’ve seen one of them express sympathy for the victims.

qtlaw likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Good point I hadn’t even thought of that.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I get why the NCAA is doing it, but it's worth noting that the state's eight public universities -- ALL of them -- as well as a couple of private ones have distanced themselves from the state flag. They all stopped flying it on their campuses five or six years ago. Today they put out a joint statement calling for a change. Unfortunately, it's not in their hands, and the NCAA's heavy-handed approach is not going over well in the state. There's an internal push to change the flag that's got some traction, but I get the sense from early reaction that there are a lot of folks just as happy to dig in and say "Fuck you, don't tell us what to do."

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

South Carolina faced similar boycotts until it took down the Stars and Bars.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Ole Miss

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Gonna put on my cultural ed hat and suggest a book or two for anyone interested in learning more about ethnicity, identity, and how culturally enmeshed and yet how divided we are.

Africanisms in American Culture (edited by Joseph Holloway, 1990/2005 Indiana University Press, ISBN-13: 978-0253217493) is now in its second edition. Holloway's editing choices for this anthology are inspired and expose the need for self-reporting in cultural scholarship. Many Americans take for granted that our culture is informed primarily by European sources. Prepare to have your heart and mind turned wide open. This is one of my favorite books from my undergraduate days. I reread it every once in a while because it's so good.

Motherwit From The Laughing Barrel: Readings in the Interpretation of Afro-American Folklore (edited by Alan Dundes, Reprint ed. 1990 University Press of Mississippi, ISBN-13: 978-0878054787) Dundes was the OG of anthropologists who didn't mind giving sticktaps to the folklorists across the hall. This collection includes seminal works by Zora Neale Hurston, Ralph Ellison, Langston Hughes, and Alan Lomax (blerg! yuck! ptui! Oscar, how do you really feel about Alan Lomax?)

Also worth finding: Alice Walker's essays about Zora Neale Hurston

Mama Day (Gloria Naylor, Reprint ed. 1989 Vintage Press, ISBN-13: 978-0679721819.)
    Yes, this is a novel. She makes ruthless fun of tin-eared allies and cultural conservation folks. I would be happy to possess a tenth of her talent.

I wish I could find one of my old urban folkways books. It had some good essays about Atlanta folklife (distrust of the media, contamination fears, the child murders.) There were also some good essays about Yupper life and street festivals in Brooklyn and Philadelphia. If I find it or remember the title, I'll post it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Found a replacement for the Confederate monuments...

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, please let me put one of these up in Linn Park at the site of the recently removed statue. Absolute guarantee the evangelicals would shit a brick, followed by calling it "Demonic", especially with that black magic star on there.

I'm not kidding. They've done it here.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Well said. Asian Americans can be proud of their fight for equality and justice, too, though. It's worth remembering June 19 is also the anniversary of the attack on Vincent Chin, an event about which I'm still mad I had to go to college overseas to learn.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’m starting to get the same hinky feeling about Tulsa that I had going into Charlottesville.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yup.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn Vincent Chin; thankfully I learned about that while in US. Horrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted