1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is she au naturel.... Only Best Pic nom I haven't seen.

2. Simon_Cowbell

It's not unusual

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not at all. There are multiple examples. It's just damn sad, in the case of Tom Jones and other parallel achievements.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If that pun was intentional, then it was well-struck.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Thanks, pal.

Every once in a while, the spaghetti sticks to the wall.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I actually haven't seen any of the Best Picture noms, but from what I'm hearing "The Reader" sucked ass. Anyone care to comment? I usually try to catch all five before the show so I'm interested in opinions from those of you that have watched it.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think so but she's pretty damn attractive, even in clothes.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Alma, what would your 5 Best Picture nominees be?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The biggest lead-pipe cinch is Wall-E for Best Animated.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Does it seem weird to anyone that it is up for best screenplay, given the dearth of dialogue? I know a screenplay is more than the words characters speak to each other, but generally I think of this as a writing award.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I've seen it.

Might be Winslet's best performance. She is simply amazing in this movie, particularly towards the end. Ralph Fiennes is also very, very good and so is the kid who Winslet beds. Tons of nudity. But the movie itself was ehhh...feels like it exploited the Holocaust for the sake of a traditional, obviously Oscar-catering drama/romance. The illiteracy plotline that the movie was named after bombed for me, the ending was incredibly predictable, and the material was told in such a hackneyed manner, particularly the final scene.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

A little weird, yes, but the Academy didn't have the balls to give it a Best Picture nom.

A mediocre WWII drama getting a nod over probably the best animated feature ever created is asinine.

Draft saved Draft deleted