1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some all-too-common Academy inclinations have derailed some utterly-deserving winners (D D-L losing for his turn in Gangs of New York was a f'n joke), but can't see any Academy quirks
    derailing Mickey, in this instance.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I hope not. And, for what it's worth, my pick for Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's either Rourke or Penn for best actor. And I would love the cosmos to have to accept this as fact: Marisa Tomei, two-time Oscar winner. :eek:

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As awful a year for movies as I've seen in some time and today it got worse. These noms are nothing short of a complete joke. Oh well. It's a show I don't have to watch, I suppose.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

It's a little unfair to make comparisons to the Globes for the lead acting categories, since the Hollywood Foreign Press chooses to make the distinction between drama and musical/comedy. But yes, Richard Jennings was not nominated for The Visitor.

For the first time in a very, very long time, I have not seen any of the Best Picture nominees. I have zero desire to see either Benjamin Button or The Reader.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

See it, man. Not a great movie. One of the great performances. He does some small stuff beautifully.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You don't need to see either of those, unless you feel a need to see Winslet screwing a lot.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The top shelf is not vintage, and look out, below.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't believe a large percentage of the Old Guard has much use for Penn. Rourke may not have the undying loyalty of the 65-80 crowd, either, but he hasn't earned their emnity for either his
    politics or the endlessly-haughy manners Penn rolls out there.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can't see them going any other way.

Don't know the terminology but, whatever you call it, I agree. Everything about this film was brilliant. A little Dickensian, I suppose, but I was fully engaged every freaking second. The kids playing the younger roles were terrific, too.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't see Slumdog Millionaire losing one award its up for. Not one. That's because the rest of the movies in those categories more or less suck, or they're up against The Dark Knight, <i>which is the same kind of movie.</i> An utter crowd pleaser.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's no legitimate way Slum should beat Button re cimematography.

I'm aware it ain't the same thing, but the fact that Slum wasn't even NOMINATED for Art Direction speaks volumes.

Draft saved Draft deleted