1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jan 22, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Ted Danson?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is it just me, or is it getting to the point where you can now pencil in Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kate Winslett and Amy Adams for Oscar nominations on an annual basis?

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, PSH should have been in the best actor category. His was not a supporting role in Doubt.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Milk was going to beat that out for BP nom, for multiple reasons.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I won't knock anything Downey does, but it doesn't help his cause that he did that turn in an utterly-mechanical, commercial comedy.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Major category favorites at William Hill:

Pic: Slumdog 4/11

Actor: Rourke 8/11

Actress: Winslet 8/13

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As opposed to an utterly mechanical, commericial superhero flick?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You'll get no argument from me, on that, whatsoever.

Aside from a few, late-season, obvious Oscar tries annually, the industry has taken most gestures towards legitimate art and thrown them right into the dumpster. Commercial crap rules. LCD. Yuk.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

People I talk to, and I haven't seen it (will do so with wife Friday nite), are amazed the Gran Tornio didn't get nominations.

Also, there is as big of a movement for as there is against, the notion that Ledger did anything all that great with the fantasy movie role he played.

I favor the against movement, though I haven't seen the movie "Dark Night".
    He is getting, in my opinion, pure sympathy vote for his efforts.
    It was a fantasy role that asked him to play an evil person.
    What actor can't do such a thing.
    Again, I haven't seen the movie. I'm just sayin' ..

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not big on comic book movies, but the guy did a helluva job with the hand he was dealt, which is what this should be about.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Springsteen wins the Globe for best song and doesn't even get nominated for an Oscar? Seriously? Total bullshit.

And based upon that list of nominees in the Best Actor part, I think Rourke is taking that home. Weren't the same people, except for the guy in The Visitor, up for the same award at the Globes? Of course that means nothing until they announce Rourke's name on Feb. 22.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I held back all judgements from what people told me about Ledger in The Dark Knight. I wanted to be a fair judge for what he did in that role. He totally nailed it and I'm at the point of saying, death or no death I think he would've been nominated for it anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted