1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running off-season CFB thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So it's Signing Day, and there was a vivid reminder in the Globe today of how different Boston is from the rest of country when it comes to college sports. They published a list of the seniors on their All-Scholastic (all Eastern Mass.) team and where they were headed to college. They're all going to top schools -- if you mean Harvard, Amherst, Williams, Army, Tufts, etc. To be fair, the kids from here who DO go to the big programs often spend a year at prep schools like Andover and Deerfield to grow a bit and get their grades in order. They wouldn't be on the list.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are there bars where refugees from the Big 10 and SEC gather in the fall to be with their tribe? I know that's a big thing in NYC and Chicago.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There might be some, although I don't know of them. Tough to get the Sox off the bar tube until their season ends. There are people here in my leafy suburb who fly Alabama and Texas A&M flags from their homes on fall Saturdays. I honor them for that, since I'll bet most of their neighbors have no idea what it's about.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Years ago I attended, with my wife in tow, a conference in Carmel. Riding around that area one afternoon, I started laughing at the idea of: A) winning the lottery; then B) buying some big fine house there and flying a "3" flag. Can only imagine the puzzlement that would follow.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You got me curious.

Where to Watch All Your NFL & College Football Teams in Boston

Go do a pub crawl one Saturday next fall. You'll be smiling like the Bee Girl at the end of No Rain.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You won't find bars randomly showing a Big Ten or SEC game here. It's usually only at whatever place hosts the alumni association.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about Boston. It's not a big college town.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I remember my first trip to Boston, in Feburary 2005. The TV behind the bar was showing Game 4 of the 2004 World Series. Guy at the bar told me they'd shown it every night since the previous October.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's a huge college town. There's a ridiculous amount of schools inside our version of the beltway. It's not a college sports town, though. BC never met a choke job that it didn't like. Even when they're high in the rankings (2007), there's something else going on (Red Sox in the World Series, Patriots going 16-0).

Sounds about right.

Draft saved Draft deleted