1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Week 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Sep 7, 2006.

1. There's no kissing in football!

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Jerome Barkum

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Love fantasy football. Play in two leagues, yada yada. That said, can we keep the running NFL threads to discussion about the games, the league, etc., instead of a running "hey, I've got Deuce McAllister, he just ran for a touchdown!" thread?

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Batch didn't win the game. Hell he nearly cost them the game with the fumble inside the 5.

The Steelers defense won the game. They stuffed the run and forced to Daunte to make some bad passes. OK, maybe they didn't force Daunte into all the bad passes, but they got to him enough.

And if Willie Parker gets 20-25 carries a game, I'm sure the Steelers will win. He has to break at least a couple big runs a game if he gets that many touches. The only concern is his durability. Can he hold up to get 320-400 carries?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

SI called him the most feared player in the NFL. Now we know why.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't think Parker will get 400 carries. If Big Ben comes back and does anything, they'll be able to rotate backs later in the game.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I never said Batch would win the game -- I only said that he would do the job. That is manage the game, don't make too many mistakes (he did make one, as you pointed out) and make plays when the team needs it. He did that. You can't ask for more from a backup quarterback.

The Steelers won the game way they always have in franchise history -- with defense. Even with Big Ben the Steelers do it with defense. That much never changes.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nobody gets 400 carries. The record is 410, and as near as I can tell only two or three others have ever surpassed 400 carries. Last year, Shaun Alexander led the league with 370 (23 per game). That's one of the most common fallacies regarding the NFL. Most fans believe every big-time back gets 25 carries a game. The reality is, that almost never happens. Most players who carry 25 times a game don't make it through the season. Last season, only eight runners managed 320 carries (an average of 20 per game for 16 games). If Parker can give the Steelers 300-320 carries -- last year, he had 255 -- that would be huge.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

No problem. Duly noted, and I look forward to posting on NFL threads. Heath Milller just got my goat. :)

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

One of the great things about Batch is that he knows who he is and he knows his limits. He's comfortable in a backup role, knows the playbook and knows the passes he can and can't make. The Steelers can survive 3-4 games with Batch there until Big Ben gets healthy. He's a veteran, a smart quarterback and a guy who doesn't make too many mistakes (save that stupid fumble).

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bitch boy would be less bitchy re: fantasy football threadjacks if he wasn't playing someone who has Heath Miller on his team this week in the NIAFL.

No names, of course. Bitch. :D

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I give you props on the NIAFL thread and this is how you treat me? Tsk, tsk. Shaun Alexander against Detroit's D tomorrow. Yeah. Anyway, I will not fall into the trap of hypocritically talking fantasy shop on this thread.

Further the discussion with a simple thought: The Redskins are going to be in a lot of trouble if they lose to the Vikings Monday. Even with Portis hurt, with the preseason the Redskins had, a loss to a rebuidling Minnesota team at home would put a ton of pressure on Washington, especially if Brunell is shaky.

Draft saved Draft deleted