1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Re: Running NFL Draft thread -- why wait?

It's built to win now. And (assuming Moss isn't going anywhere) it's built to win next season -- offensively.
    Defensively, there's no reason those linebackers are going to continue to remain healthy for another full season. If there's ever a year when not winning a Super Bowl is acceptable, it's the year immediately following the one when you did win it. Signing a big timer now makes as much sense as ever.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Does anyone seriously think McFadden ain't going pro?

With a new coach and all the shite about his eligibility, not to mention the fact he'll be a top-3 pick, it seems like a foregone conclusion, doesn't it?

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I doubt Parcells would even trade the pick in the division. And the Patriots are leery of high draft-picks because the cost is so ridiculous to sign the player. Like it was said, with Moss and Samuel needing to be signed to an already tight team salary, knowing New England's philosophy I think it's out of the question even if they could get McFadden. The team seems to like Maroney and Sammy Morris was excellent before he suffered that season-ending injury.

The Pats only need is a shutdown corner alongside Asante. Ellis Hobbs is inconsistant and undersized and they need a better #2 option. Talib has been excellent in every Kansas game I've seen this season and is expected to declare for the NFL draft. He's expected to be a mid-teens pick, so I'd trade down if I'm Belichick, grab a few more picks (for a young MLB) and get Talib or Mike Jenkins from South Florida.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He's gone.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i make it through the raiders' first pick then i'm out.

6. Norman Stansfield

A true fanboi if I've ever seen one :D

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but i'm a fanboi who can admit his team(s) sucks.

8. Re: Running NFL Draft thread -- why wait?

The Lions are already trying to decide which WR they're going to pick in the first round.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Easy.
    Mario Manningham. They didn't have to spend any money to scout him and they figure he'll just move a few miles to Detroit.

10. Norman Stansfield

They should have drafted Greg Jennings last year. He's from Kalamazoo and better than Calvin Johnson right now.

Not saying he will be in two years. But right now.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I Tivo the draft and wade through to the picks that I actually care about.

I have no idea who is going to be around when the Steelers draft, but I think a OL, MLB, WR, RB should probably be on their list.

You never know what will be filled in free agency. That will of course be a factor.

I read online that they might resign Faneca and move him to center. If he could pull it off, it would be a very intersting possibility.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Last I checked, they still need Faneca at guard. If they can somehow sign him, I don't understand why they would move him.

The Steelers do need to replace Mahan at center. He's awful. It is amazing how many times somebody came clean through the middle and when you watch the replay, Mahan was getting run over at the snap. I don't think I've ever watched an NFL game and thought the center caused his team to lose until the Steelers' loss to the Jets this year.

The Steelers have to go heavy on the lines, whether it be free agency, the draft or both. Faneca is a free agent. I think Starks is, too. And they have absolutely no depth on the defensive line, which is why the loss of Aaron Smith was such a killer.

The Patriots should be one of the more interesting teams. I could see them trading down or just staying where they are and taking the best linebacker available. I think that is every bit as big of a need as cornerback. Maybe Road Warrior Animal Jr.?

Draft saved Draft deleted