1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Divisional Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

AFC
    Baltimore (12-5) at Tennessee (13-3), 4:30 p.m. EST Saturday, CBS
    San Diego (9-8) at Pittsburgh (12-4), 4:45 p.m. EST Sunday, CBS

NFC
    Arizona (10-7) at Carolina (12-4), 8:15 p.m. EST Saturday, FOX
    Philadelphia (10-6-1) at N.Y. Giants (12-4), 1 p.m. EST Sunday, FOX

---

Ravens-Titans might be a snoozefest, even for those of us who appreciate good defense. Chargers-Steelers should be a more enticing game than the first meeting, given how much better San Diego's playing now.

Cardinals-Panthers might be a letdown from the regular-season meeting, should Arizona be happy with winning that one game. Eagles-Giants should be a heavyweight title bout.

Let the Steelers-jack begin.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Aside from Arizona-Carolina, the other three look like classic match-ups.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Arizona-Carolina is the prime time game. I thought for certain they'd go with Eagles-Giants.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They had the time slots for the four bye teams determined before the wild card games. Otherwise, you're right, they probably would have gone with Eagles-Giants in prime time Saturday.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cardinals have NO chance, period. I've said Giants win the NFC since about mid-October and no reason to change now.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Carolina can beat them. They aren't as dominant as many of the favored teams in the past. They don't compare to the Packers, Cowboys or 49ers of the mid-90s, or the Colts, Pats of the 2000s. They are good but not unbeatable.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Chargers are doomed if LT doesn't play and play well. The Steelers' D will shut down Sproles if he's the primary ballcarrier, and if that happens, I don't expect Rivers to do much under constant pressure.

The Cardinals can score on the Panthers, but I suspect they won't get enough chances. Carolina will control the ball with Williams and Stewart and push the Cardinals all over the field.

I think the Giants want revenge from the last meeting with the Eagles, and I think they get it.

The Titans will have their hands full with the Ravens. Two down-and-dirty teams that don't like each other. Great matchup. I'd give the edge to Tennessee, though, for two reasons. They're facing a rookie QB who is due to play like one, and they have the most explosive player on the field in Chris Johnson.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Chargers can win without Tomlinson, but that means Bennett would have to make some plays. If Sproles is carrying most of the load, they should at least try to attack the Steelers the way the Patriots did. Spread them out and do most of the rushing on draws.

I think Rivers and Roethlisberger are the keys. Rivers was terrible in the first meeting. He must be more productive this time. The Chargers are playing better defensively, but they can still be hurt with the pass. Roethlisberger has to take advantage and not giv the game away with turnovers.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My picks, for whatever they're (not) worth:

Baltimore, San Diego, Carolina and Philadelphia.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ravens all the way. I've been behind them for as long as I can remember (3:45 p.m., Jan. 4).

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Will you do Elliot Reed's "I told you so" dance if the Ravens win the Super Bowl?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I assume the Saturday prime-time slot rotates each year? If that's the case, why wouldn't FOX want the Giants for that game?

Draft saved Draft deleted