1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running music videos used to be cool thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The Jam ... and some guy with a tamborine.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I used to always tape Headbangers Ball & watch it on Sunday mornings, hoping to catch a Dokken video.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I believe this song started a revolution in music videos:

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

[​IMG]

Greatest. show. ever.

I still have my t-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Oh yeah.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hell yes. Every day, I walked home from school in junior high, turned on the TV and watched Dr. Dre and Ed Lover. Without that show, I can't imagine how boring my CD collection would be.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

*waiting for someone to dedicate "Unforgiven" by the Go Gos to Mikey*

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oz, did you ever try the Ed Lover Dance?

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=214981

9. I bought a Spike Jonze DVD a few years ago that's pretty fun. It has Sabotage, the guy running through the street on fire, a few Fatboy Slim videos, including the one where Christopher Walken breaks out into this elaborate dance number, and a Notorious BIG video where all the grown ups have been replaced by kids who are about 10 years old. There's also Weezer and a few others. The Walken video is incredible ... Weapon of Choice ...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey I go back to when the Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert were the places to see early videos.

Here in Canuckistan - at least in Toronto - it was Toronto Rocks at 4:30 weekdays or something like that. Anyway, it was mandatory viewing after school. There was also a show on CBC hosted by Samanatha Stevens but I can't recall the name (Video Hits, maybe).

Saturday nights was the terrific New Music on CITY-TV (co-hosted by J.D. Roberts, now all cleaned up on CNN as John Roberts) which showed videos and did interviews and features on bands as they came through town.

When MuchMusic came along it was great but eventually went for a shit and shows very little music now. MuchMoreMusic isn't bad and shows a lot of VH1 stuff that I like (Classic Albums, Behind The Music).

Ah, memories...

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

But did you learn the Ed Lover dance?

I first head Public Enemy on this show, so that made it for me.

12. I don't know that all videos are irrelevant anymore. I stumbled across the video on youtube for Serj Tankian's (singer for System of a Down) "Empty Walls." And it was clever with some great meaning I thought.

I know most of the people on here probably won't like the song, but I thought the video was brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted