1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB Thread 2007 #1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Did someone say Koufax?

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Did anyone just see the strange play at home plate between the Cubs and Cards? Blanco is batting for the Cubs, bunted the ball in the air, the catcher reaches over Blanco's head to make the catch, ball drops, Blanco is still standing in the box, the catcher picks it up, tags him out, then throws the ball to second to tag up Jones, then the ball is thrown to third to tag up DeRosa, then to make sure it was a triple play, the ball was thrown to first.

The umps ruled it as an infield rule play(?). Blanco is called out, DeRosa goes back to second, Jacque Jones goes back to first.

Does anyone understand this?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If they called infield fly, then the batter is out and the runners can only be put out trying to advance, i.e. on a tag.

I didn't see the play, so i can't tell you any more than that.

4. D-3 Fan

Thanks Zeke. You'll see it on the highlights tonight if they do show it. The official ruling was announced. It was batter's interference. Therefore since Blanco didn't get out of the way of the bunt pop-up, he was ruled out, and the runners had to go back to first and second.

Can't believe it took Pat and Ron 10 minutes to figure that out on Cubs radio. Dan and Al on Cards t.v. didn't say much after that.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's the right call then, I think.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think runners can advance on batter's interference. Ball is dead.

6. D-3 Fan

Ball was dead on the play.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

With one out in the bottom of the ninth in a one run game Ronny Cedeno becomes the first player in major league history to get thrown out at second base on a base on balls.

I hate this fucking team.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Please, tell me more.

9. Armchair_QB

Cubs down 2-1 in the ninth. One out, Cedeno pinch-running at first for DeRosa. He's running on a 3-2 count. It's ball four. Cardinals catcher throws to second. Cedeno slides, not knowing it's ball four, touches second but slides past the bag. Eckstein tags him. He's out.

So instead of one out, tying run at second, winning run at first, it's two out, tying run at first. Matt Murton pops up on the first pitch to end the game.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And nobody yelled at him to pull up because it was ball four? Hell, you see guys on the other team doing that half the time.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If this culminates with Ronny ".064" Cedeno being sent down, I'm all for it. Hell, teach Theriot how to play short and cut Izturis, too. Can't be any worse than what's happening right now.

12. Armchair_QB

Unfuckingbelievable. Can't wait to get home and see the tape of Piniella's postgame presser. Surely he'll go Lee Elia today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.