1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB First-Year Player Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 7, 2007.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

He would have been a nice pick for the Red Sox. I was just would have liked to seen a kid like Kevin Ahrens, instead thats all.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Lewis-Clark State is named after the Lewis-Clark Valley (which is named after the towns of Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, Wash.; which are, in turn named after Lewis and Clark).

Lewis and Clark College is a four-year liberal arts school in Portland (and also a couple of 2-year schools along the Lewis and Clark route).

Sorry for the interruption. Now, back to something someone gives a damn about ...

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

No idea on that guy's upside, but my wife was worried they would take Wierters took b/c she has him in our supercompulsive AL-only league (yes, she drafts college players, did I marry up or what?). I told her not to sweat it, that the Pirates were too cheap to deal with Boras.

Ding ding, next pick, O's take Wierters.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly...best player in the draft falls to you at No. 4...but of course, he would cost money so let's go get another arm to blow up...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You mean falling all the way to the Red Sox, who didn't have a pick until somewhere in the 50s?

No one in the land was hotter than Mills after his postseason performance. I can only imagine what you thought when the Indians traded for Travis Hafner. "Boo, he's a DH. I want more upside." And you think he's not a good pick at 13?

Thanks for confirming your dumbitude for us again.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Remember who you're talking to, young hack.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It would make even less sense if he were right. Because they don't have any power they should be sure to ensure that that hole in their team continues to go unfilled?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Exactly, Guy.

What you comment on is the Twins taking a position player period, given their proclivity to stockpiling arms. Hell, comment on them drafting a CF and Hunter leaving, if you must.

Commenting on the Twins lacking middle of the order hitting is just ludicrous, and to suggest it fits some kind of template they're trying to achieve is asinine.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Just figured it should be repeated, Steve Phillips is a moron.

The issue of signability sucks.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why does it suck? I think it keeps things interesting.

Plus, it's amusing, in a horrific, this-guy-can't-possibly-be-this-stupid way, when a dumbass like Matt Harrington literally pisses away multiple millions of dollars.

I'll take fries with that, Matt.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It sucks because there is really no point to having teams draft in inverse order of the standings if half of the teams can't or won't pick the best player available anyway.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I may be waaaaay off-base on this one, but how is signability even an issue anymore?

Hasn't MLB decided that if you don't sign a guy (picked at No. 5, for example), you'll get pick 5a (the sixth pick, essentially) in the very next draft?

And if that's the case, why not draft all of Boras' clients and tell them they can either sign for a respectable amount, or you'll just take the picks next year.

Is there any kind of rule about how many non-signing compensatory picks you can get? Do you forfeit you regular pick for using them? It just seems to me that this rule SHOULD go far in erasing many of the signability issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted