1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Nov 7, 2007.

1. I see. I'm assuming it's always been like that?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

as long as I can remember...and that's pretty long

BBWAA votes for MVP, Cy Young, Rookie and Manager in each league (2 writers from each city = 32 voters for NL awards, 28 for AL awards)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

According to MLB.com, a committee selected by the Sporting News voted for the GGs from 1957-64, but MLB managers and coaches took over the responsibility in 1965.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I believe the votes were collected at the end of that game. But I'm not positive.

EDIT: Hoops confirmed it.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

David Wright made a ton of great plays this season, but no one with 20-plus errors deserves a Gold Glove.

6. It cheapens the award for him, no? Doesn't it cheapen like how Palmeiro won the award the year he only played like 55 games at first base? What's worse?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Palmeiro winning a Gold Glove as a DH is a bigger joke than Wright winning this year, but not by much.

Having watched Ramirez for most of the year all I can say is it must be a weak crop of 3B if he's in the discussion. He's good, and he's a hell of a lot better than he was when he arrived in Chicago, but I don't know if he's GG good.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

pedro feliz should have won it at third base

9. joe

joe Active Member

Yadier Molina should have won the NL catcher gold glove. If we're talking defense, he's by far the best catcher in the league, and it's not even close.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed, Joe, and I think Martin won as much for his durability as his defensive (and sadly, offensive) prowess. That said, Martin is a damn fine catcher behind the plate. He handled the pitchers well and threw out more runners (41) than anyone in the league.

But Molina is the best, no question.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's pretty good with the bat once in a while too!!!!

[​IMG]

:D :D :D :D :D

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The AL shortstop should have been John McDonald from the Blue Jays. Has a terrible bat but an all world glove

Draft saved Draft deleted