1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah. OK. I get that. Braun is a butcher at third, there's no question about it.

But Braun was also probably the best hitter in the NL from the time he was called up in late May. To have 34HRs, 97 RBIs, .324 avg, .634 SLG after missing two months of the season, trumps by miles his deficiencies at third base.

Nothing against Tulowitzki, I love his game, but I think we're seeing too many trees for the forest here.

I doubt there's ever been a rookie who put numbers like Braun's who didn't get RoY, unless there was another rookie with similar numbers in the same season.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess they needed to tie someone in the OF and gave Aaron Rowand a goldie.

3. Did I read that correctly? David Wright won a fucking Gold Glove??

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't that much of a problem with Braun getting ROY over Tulo (although you could argue that the Rocks made the playoffs and the Brewers didn't because of superior defense).

I just think Tulo was better than Rollins this year, even though Rollins is good. Tulo deserved that GG. Rollins might be the MVP, but Tulo was better in the field.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

May it be first of several awards for Jimmy Rollins.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

There's nothing wrong if Braun wins it. He's deserving. It just annoys me that he doesn't play very good defense.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not half as much as it annoys me.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know, I know. I love Braun, but Tulowitzki won me over during that streak to make the playoffs. But if Braun wins, it's not like he doesn't deserve it. There is no wrong answer so long as one of those guys wins it.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

remember gold glove voting when anyone bitches about the bbwaa voting

the people i know, myself included, that have bbwaa votes take those very, very seriously and put a lot of time into them

and to answer the question about the voting, there was an extension given until after teh one-game playoff, because that is technically still the regular season

10. As a Mets fan, I even have to disagree with this one. There were a few games this year where his errors cost the Mets a win. After looking at the stats, Aramis Ramirez or Chipper Jones could have easily won the award.

11. Why doesn't the BBWA vote for the Gold Gloves?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Players and managers vote for Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted