1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Media Day thread (Doesnt matter which conference, come on in...)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jul 20, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like this comment: "This thread is a brilliant sign of progress in America. The trailer parks of Alabama must finally have the interwebs – and Bubba and Cletus are learning to read!"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wish I were there with you guys.

slappy, tell Moddy hi for me. Moddy, tell slappy hi for me. Moddy and slappy, tell everybody else hi for me.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Slappy left the building for the day hours ago; moddy is in a tiny room with the rest of the interweb people hoping that the Winfrey doesn't have to resort to dial-up.
    You remember that scene in The Right Stuff, where LBJ is fuming in the back of the limo when Annie Glenn won't let him in her house? That's how most of those in attendance feel without interwebs.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did you approach Moddy like he was famous?

"Hi Moddy I'm Slappy. I've always admired your work as head moderator of SportsJournalists.com"

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. I stuck my head in the internet room looking for a bald guy. I turned, walked out and damn near ran into him. I quietly muttered "moddy?"
    After we exchanged pleasantries, he said "Were you in there looking for a bald guy?"

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's about six bald guys in here. The other five are muttering, "Who the fuck is this Moddy and why are people saying hello?"

Two more observations:

*The radio/interwebs room is tiny, kind of the JV room. We only get the participants for 10 minutes (though we can wander into the real room if we want). I like it better here. Fewer people asking questions, you can get what you need a hell of a lot easier.

*I took some stuff up to my room, media guides and the like, during a brief break in the action. The crowd in the lobby from this a.m.? It's exploded. It looks like everyone in Alabama is there. I had to walk a huge circle to get around and to the elevators.

Under Armour is the host for some reception tonight.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The SEC's version is so big, they cap the M and D in Media Days. They're cool like that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have not checked my media guide box yet to see if I have a rare Georgia press guide -- with 100 percent more Damon Evans!

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So has Richt taken the podium yet? How'd he do?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's done his turn in the JV room, first up at 8:30 central. Did fine sputtered out the usual platitudes without saying much. Wouldn't comment on what's his name. First time I haven't been able to get in a question I wanted to ask, not that it was a big deal. Petrino has also been in the JV room already, though I didn't pay much attention to him.

Early day today as golf is this afternoon. I'm not playing. Going to head home for two days and then head out west for more media daze.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

hey JD

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn... did I miss you yesterday during my courtesy appearance?

Draft saved Draft deleted