1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably, because at least half of the episode was plucked from the Fatal Attractions storyline. That is what led to the creation of Onslaught. The thing is, Operation Zero Tolerance came after Onslaught in the comics and both of those preceded the destruction of Genoshia, so they are mixing and matching from many storylines.

2. outofplace

I just finished the season finale of X-Men '97. That was...a lot. I enjoyed it, but they threw a lot at the wall.

One thing I didn't like was the use of the Phoenix. It was a cheap way out, a rare misstep in a strongly-written season.

Also, how the hell did Xavier get from the helmet crushing his head to him being in Magneto's head?

Those scenes at the end hint at two storylines from the comic and one I don't recognize. I don't remember a story of the X-Men going back to the youth of En Sabah Nur (Apocalypse). Scott and Jean ending up with a young Nathan is an adaptation of a miniseries in which they sort-of raised Cable. The post-credit scene hints at the Age of Apocalypse. There were also more hints at Onslaught, so it seems like they will continue to go big and go crazy with the storylines.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    sgreenwell likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I really liked 97. Yeah, it was somewhat "remember this?" the animated series, but I think they did a great job at picking and choosing the things that people are into. Like the original, they did a good job of mixing in Story of the Week episodes (Jubilee's meta arcade adventure was a standout to me) with ones that featured persisting storylines over the season.

4. outofplace

It really sucks that Disney fired the show-runner, Beau DeMayo, before the series even aired. He did a fantastic job. I hope whoever takes over can sustain it for future seasons.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He might have done a great job, but there is a ton of whispers out there about him not being a great guy to work with or for. I don't think it has risen to the standard of "he's getting sued and/or arrested," but it seems like enough that they were happy to shitcan him once the project was done, and everyone else was perfectly fine to continue.

Draft saved Draft deleted