1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If there was any doubt, that was made undoubtedly clear by the scene on the street near the end of the second episode.

One thing I heard tonight that I like is that we will be getting new MCU content every week for a while. The final episode of Wandavision will air the week before the debut of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Before I open this, this only deals with the first two episodes, right?

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I just realized those first two episodes make the characters Wanda and Vision much more likable.

That might mean something when we talk about the next 5-10 years of the franchise.

4. outofplace

Correct. It is really just speculation about what is causing events to happen in the first two episodes based on what happened in the movies.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I like Olson (Olsen?) and Bettany and it was nice to see Debra Jo Rupp again.

The B&W sitcom trope is something that got worn to a nubbin by DC's imprints from the late 80s to the mid-aughts. I'm watching it and the easter eggs and clues are engaging for now.

6. outofplace

The gimmick makes me think of Stay Tuned, the crappy John Ritter movie from 1992.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this one is going to be a little too Inside Baseball for me, but I'll give it at least another episode.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. outofplace

One concern I had, especially when I heard the episodes were going to average about 30 minutes, was that they would stick with the gimmick too long before dealing with what the heck is going on. So far, the story itself isn't that compelling.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's been kind of amusing so far, but not all that interesting.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's fascinating that Elizabeth is the Olsen sister who ended up with the better acting career.

sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just binged the first two episodes and they have me wanting more. So many questions to be answered. It's enjoyable.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Sometimes those narrative side-trips can be interesting. Grant Morrison's "Coyote Gospel" (Animal Man) and Neil Gaiman's "Hold Me" (Hellblazer) are examples of how it can work. The thing that sets these issues apart from a sitcom trope-driven issue is they were one-offs that obeyed the mores and physical laws of the host narratives.

This last talking point was part of the reason I saw this as more of a game than good storytelling. To me, it scans like a 90s' vintage computer game where clues are collected and the physics of the play environment is learned rather than told with little forward movement in terms of the story.

There were times when I found myself asking if Scarlet Witch could/could not do certain things. Is there a window of familiarity where it doesn't feel too 101 for some and a complete enigma to others?

Draft saved Draft deleted