1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Madoff scam thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 30, 2008.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

they don't have a big enough fucking cell for Madoff. either that, or I'd leave him in a room with Chuck Norris for an hour and tell Chucky to beat the hell out of him.
    i have no patience with such high-brow criminals who pull this kind of crap or those such as the other ripoffs that have occurred in recent years (Enron, etc.)...these are crimes committed by supposedly intelligent human beings whose mode of operation was to purposely screw people and without any remorse. never will i be convinced otherwise.
    i have far less sympathy with them than say, someone who grew up on the streets of Harlem or was in such an environment where crime was as much a part of their day as getting out of bed.
    these guys like Madoff, they had far more opportunities than those criminals off of the streets did.
    i am not saying that makes any crime right. it doesn't, of course.
    but those like Madoff and his kind? send 'em off for life or put 'em on the street where they have to make a living the hard way.
    pathetic.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Madoff pleads guilty.

Judge plays this card:
    [​IMG]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/12/madoff-arrives-in-court-f_n_174194.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why plead guilty? Why not fight it and stay out of prison as long as possible?

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Why not just gang the dude by his gonads and be done with it?
    Or, as suggested earlier, maybe a 10-second "conversation" with Mr. Chuck Norris.
    Adios, Bernard.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As best as I can tell, he's pleading guilty just as a money saving device. He wants his wife to keep that $62mm and blowing half of that on criminal defense lawyers won't help reach that goal.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Won't he have to pay a ton in fines and restitution anyway (unless he dies in prison before sentencing, like Ken Lay)?

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

my guess is that he'll argue poverty -- that very little was in his name because he was paying it out to his investors, especially to keep the scam going before the bitter end.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wouldn't want to be him, millions or no. I can't recall anyone being so reviled. OJ Simpson was Michael Jordan by comparison.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

In a report I heard yesterday, someone was discussing his so-called "investors" and what their chances are to recoup any of their money. There's something called investor's insurance, which I've never heard of, that supposedly pays out a maximum of $500,000. Seems to me as though no one would qualify for this because their money was never invested; it was stolen. Nothing different here than if Madoff were a pickpocket and he took the money from these people right out of their wallets.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's a sad part of the risk these investors take.

Madoff and his con schemes aside, this is why I don't feel sorry for people who lost money in the stock market. You take $100 and buy some stock, sit around a while and expect that same stock to be worth $500 or $1,000? But yet you NEVER expect it to go down? How nuts is that?

One reason I hate capitalism and all these investment brokers. Too many people out to just be greedy.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They'll have to put him in Supermax to keep him from getting shanked.

Hell, the Unabomber would shank him at this point.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He'll probably be in protective custody, at least to begin with. The dude is 70 years old, not likely he's going to be gang-bangin' it with the boys from the 'hood.

Draft saved Draft deleted